Super Slow Dell

GTDellMan

Honorable
Jan 27, 2013
Hi all yet another NooB,

Made a big error installing an old Video Camera Panasonic NV-GS50, onto Dell Vostro 3700 running windows 7 pro, via USB cable (to download pics directly off the SD card). NExt thing I know my lappy has turned super slow 15 mins + to boot.

Tried all the usual stuff going to a restore point of the day before but still the problem exists. Basic diagnostics said Error on timer 2000-0221. However this timer issue was probably because the cpu was maxed out so I didn't entirely believe it. After pulling my hair out for 8 hours I quit, deeply concerned for all the work on it.

Overnight I had left a flash dive in one of the many USB sockets and on boot(froom the hard drive) I noticed it tharshing with activity quite alot so I simply pulled it out (I sometimes do that) and baddabing instantly returns to normal!!! I tested by putting a different external drive (this time a USB 3.5" disk drive) back in without reboot and all slows down again. Shut off - Reboot problem returns, remove drive, speeds up. I also have a networked hard drive that does not affect the system.

So it is IN the external storage only via USB, the question is how does an external storage cause this overload?

- Is there any USB external storage setting magiced away somewhere like slow me down to cope with USB1.0 or 16bit only? i
- Is it a malware on the external storage?
- Is it ...?

All genuine help very welcomed. Thanks.

GTDellMan

Honorable
Jan 27, 2013
All,

A quick update to the problem...

After booting normally (no external USB drives), I can plug in an external USB drive and read/write to it and the laptopo retains full performance. If I try and boot with a USB storage the laptop goes ultra slow and tries to access the USB constantly.

Thats it.

Cheers
GT

GTDellMan

Honorable
Jan 27, 2013

Problem of External USB Drives (disks or Sticks) causing my laptop to go really slow resolved.

0. I booted without any usb external storage.
1. put my usb external storage 'sticks' into ports
2. Ran stinger, ran sophos, ran mbam... made sure there was no malware anywhere.
3. checked the contents of my sticks and copied off what was wanted to my hard drive
4. formatted the stick drives to Fat32 for quick removal
5. repeated the same operation for a second stick
6. note: my external usb Hard drive disk remained disconnected
7. from the Dell support site (and only the dell support site) I went through a search without putting in my AssetTag to find my correct 'Chipset Drivers' I downloded these.
8. without any sticks in ports I re-installed the downloaded drivers
9. performed a COLD reboot. This to ensure the drivers were completely installed and running.
10. the system booted with good speed
11. reconnected my usb external HDD and inserted my formatted sticks
12. performed another cold boot and kept an eye out for activity on my external HDD
13. Everything was back to normal - boot to login about 10-15 secs. no excessive activity
:wahoo:

If anyone ever reads this with a similar problem add it here so i get an email.