Sign in with
Your question

Forumula II and RAM issue.

Last response: in Memory
September 12, 2011 9:48:21 PM

Hi all, right this might sound like a noob question, I am new to the "Custom PC" as such, been about 9 years since I used a home made rig....

What I want to find out is if I can use my old RAM from my old PC in my "New" Rig computer.... :o 

This is the specs of my new machine.

AMD X4 2.8hhz (Black Edition)
Crosshair Formula II Mobo
4GB of Crucial PC2-6400 (400mhz) RAM
2x 9800GT GPU
750W p/s

I have two spare 1.5GB DDR2 PC2-6400 (800MHz) RAM from my old ASUS Aspire X1301 and two free slots on my Formula 2 mobo, QUESTION is::: Can I put this into my system to make it to 7GB RAM??

2nd Question is: Though I have 4GB installed, it only allows me to use 3GB? Why could this be? and IF I put this extra 3GB in would it work or would it be capped like it is now?

Thanks in advance guys! :) 

More about : forumula ram issue

a b } Memory
September 12, 2011 10:36:24 PM

1st. Asus aspire = Laptop = different physical RAM size. You can't put the chips into the socket.

2nd. The reason you are capped at 3GB is because you are using a 32 bit operating system, which can not address more than 3GB. Even if you put more memory in, you would still be capped.

You would need to upgrade to a 64bit Operating system (XP 64bit, Win 7 64bit) if you wanted more than 3GB RAM
September 13, 2011 5:57:33 AM

Hi, Thanks for the reply!,

Just checked my OS and it seems it has 32bit.... strange.
I have windows 7 64bit, If i upgrade this will it keep my programs etc?

Also the aspire AX1301 is a "mini" PC tower with your usual sized ram.... Mayb it was 5700?? My mistake..

I just brought this new/used rig from ebay and want to buff it up a bit but keep all the top games that are installed..
a b } Memory
September 13, 2011 2:51:44 PM

To be honest I am not sure what will happen if you upgrade the OS. It shouldn't affect it, but I can't say for sure.

My bad on the Acer. I didn't actually look at the model (I know, I know...) and figured it was a notebook.

If the chips fit in the slots, then yes you can absolutely use them
!