Win7 x64 or x86 for AMD Phenom II X2 555 BE

Karl_the_n00b

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
Hi guys,

Got a new HDD for my PC and was going to upgrade to windows 7 but not sure if I should go for the x64 or x86 version. What would be the best choice and if you don’t mind me asking, why?

It’s mostly going to be used as a gaming rig, if that matters at all.

Thanks for the help guys and sorry for the n00b questions.

Hello and welcome to the forums
It depends on how much RAM you have.
If you have 3GB or less,then go with x86;otherwise,go with x64 because 32bit OS's recognize maximum 3.2GB of RAM;whereas, 64bit are required for 4GB+ of memory installed.

Karl_the_n00b

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
Thank you, and thanks for the reply :)

I’m currently only running 2 GB so I’ll go with x86 for now.

Would there really be any performance difference between the 2 types on a 2 GB rig?

The HDD I’m installing is actually SSD so would that make any difference to which I should choose? I didn’t mention it before as I didn’t think it would matter but feel better being sure.

Cheers,

noble

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
Also, if you use or plan to use any application that has a 64-bit version, it will perform faster with 64-bit.

It has also be found that even some 32-bit applications can potentially run better if installed in a 64-bit operating system.

One of those that comes to mind is Adobe Photoshop.

Microsoft claims 99.9% compatibility with 32-bit applications for its 64-bit operating systems.

Just make sure you have 64-bit drivers for all your system internals & peripherals if you finally decide to install 64-bit. If you got a fairly new build you should be covered.

IMHO 64-bit is the way forward and is a pitty since most software manufacturers don't take any advantage of it.

1965ohio

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
The minimum requirement for x64 Win7 is 2GB. So just install the x64, cause you will want to add RAM in the future, and I doubt you will want to re-installed the OS just because of it.

Running x64 will make your system more responsive and x86 programs will run normally too. No reason to go x86 unless you only got 1GB of RAM or will never upgrade above the 2GB you have. :D