Sign in with
Your question

Need a new motherboard...

Last response: in Systems
October 19, 2010 3:13:24 AM

Hey everyone,

I just got a phenom x4 9850 for cheap so I purchased it. When I looked up my cpu support list for my Gigabyte GA-M61P-S3 mobo, I was to quick to assume that it supported it. Most cpu lists I look at show only the cpus that are supported and doesn't bother to list the others that aren't. Their list showed the processor, and where it said N/A (now obviously meaning it doesn't work at all) I misunderstood that to mean that it worked without a bios flash. Stupid mistake. Anyone know where to get a good deal on a motherboard that supports the phenom x4 9850? So I guess, does anyone have any recommendations for a compatible motherboard that is a fair price?

Thanks in advance!

More about : motherboard

a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 19, 2010 8:04:17 AM

Only the highest end AM2 mobos had BIOS to support AM2+ chips and those 9850 are like 125 or even 140W TDP even? Let us know which version (125/140) u have 1st so we could better advise Hope it was a mind boggling low price cos i would nab a $75 Rana 445 over any AM2+ chip right now....
m
l
Related resources
October 19, 2010 9:22:02 PM

Thanks for your reply...

It is actually the 125 watt processor and I got it for $59.99... Like you said though, I definitely didn't do my research well enough as motherboards support is very hit and miss... I guess my question should be: Are ASRock motherboards any good? I have found them to be the cheapest, and its unfortunate, but from what I have learned you get what you pay for. I found a website called BGTech.net and it has ASRock motherboards refurbed for like $35... Anyone dealt with them before?

Thanks again
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 19, 2010 9:29:38 PM

Your CPU should work on an AM2+/AM3 board, since AMD makes their stuff backwards compatible.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 20, 2010 8:07:40 AM

Not all though - some AM2 have no BIOS for AM2+ chip (EOL product/poor support) and even AM2+ may have TDP limitation of say 95W or lower for chips ^^

Yep Asrock is fine but i wouldn't go open box/refurb if i were u ^^
m
l
!