P8Z68 vs P6X58

specjay

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
Hi I'm new to this forum but I've learned a lot here since a couple of week.

I'm now building a gamer pc just for BF3. And I would like to have your input on wich of these Mobo I should get.

Lets say P8Z68 Deluxe vs P6X58 V-Pro.

I know the X58 can do tripple channel on memory but can only have 1st gen of core I7
and the Z68 can have the second but works on dual channel.

thanks

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008

Hi specjay :hello: . It is quite obvious,the P8Z68 motherboard & associated sandy bridge processor are cheaper & more up to date (more modern or the latest chipset out) than the P6X58 V-Pro motherboard & cpu combination. ;) Also the P8Z68 associated parts are cheaper than the P6X58 & associated parts. ;) The processors are about the same in the top dog hierarchy area,it's just the price. ;) Also the Asus series are quite reliable,so you will not have much trouble there. :) Last & not least,you've chosen Intel which has got a proven track record of reliability also. :sol:

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Also don't let anyone tell you to wait for amd's bulldozer line of processors before making a choice. ;) It has been proven that for quite a while now amd has always been behind Intel in benchmarks & so on. :lol: So if you listen to others and get the AMD bulldozer,you'll end up running out of diesel quite soon & getting stuck in a hot tempered rut. ;) One more time don't buy amd's bulldozer & you'll won't run out of diesel. :sol:

Aside from all, that your motherboard choice should follow your budget and needs.

AMD builds have their place. Since you are considering an i7 however, there is no good reason to use he X58 platform. Triple channel RAM is not really much better than dual channel, and the benchmarks of the newer processors have made it mostly irrelevant.

There is some argument for triple CF/SLI, or quadruple, because of the PCI-E bandwidth limitations of the Sandy Bridge chipset. Some folks will still promote the X58 or AMDs 990FX chipsets for that reason.
However, such builds are impractical and end up taking a back seat to CPU power anyway.

specjay

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
Thank you very much guys for your responses. I will go with Z68 with i7 2600K 3,4ghz. Memory will be 8Gb or 12Gb hyperx ram ( still don't know if i'll take the 1600 or 2000 Mhz).

And for now i'll add a "little" :kaola: Asus GTX580 DCII on. And maybe a second one in january SLI if I need it...

Thanks again.

CPU666d1

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2011

Good One specjay! You got it right & listened to the cool "Wish I Was Wealthy" dude. ;) At least he can tell you the truth about those bulldozers that will probably run out of diesel. :lol: