Sign in with
Your question

GA-MA785GM-US2H Build jitters and PSU concerns?

Last response: in Components
January 13, 2011 6:49:06 AM

Hi,
I am about to embark on my first build. I have experience with the hardware installation, but am more worried about my power supply purchase. I am running an Gigabyte GA-785GM-US2H Micro-ATX, with a phenom II x2 555 3.2 ghz Black Edition (callisto). I got this combo for their low power consumption as I am trying to build a fast "green machine". Also I may be able to unlock the other 2 cores laying dormant in the Deneb architecture (callisto = Deneb = 4 cores). I probably won't overclock, but if I do, it will only be up to 3.4 ghz. I understand you can run this chip safe @ 3.6 ghz. Anyway I am also a gamer so I got a sapphire Radeon HD 5770. I have a Thermaltake TR-2 500 Watt PSU. The rated minimum PSU for my 5770 is 450 Watts. But, my Gigabyte mobo also supports crossfire with the built in GPU (ATI RADEON HD 4200). Will my Thermaltake 500w PSU handle this in Crossfire mode?
Bottom Line Question:
Based on these specs, which power supply should I buy(use)?

My Specs:
-AMD Phenom II X2 3.2 ghz Black Edition
-GA-MA785GM-US2H Micro Atx Mobo
-Kingston HyperX 4 GB Kit (2x2 GB Modules) 1066MHz DDR2 SDRAM
-Sapphire Radeon HD 5770 1 GB DDR5 Video Card
-Western Digital 1 TB Caviar Green SATA Intellipower 64 MB Cache Hard Drive
-Cooler Master RR-910-HTX3-G1 130-
Watt 92mm Hyper TX3 CPU Cooler for 775/1156/AMD/AM2/AM3
-Cooler Master Elite 310 ATX, MATX Mid Tower Case with Window RC-310
-?????Thermaltake TR2 500W Continuous-Delivery Power Supply ATX12V W0379RU???????

Any help or guidance is appreciated, online PSU calculators said I only needed 425 for this setup(with 2 extra hard drives). Who Knows if those are accurate?
I bought all this on special for less than 500 dollars and free shipping to Hawaii! Thank you amazon. I tried Tiger and Newegg, Amazon beat them all on pricepoint with the free shipping(newegg wanted over $140 to ship to HI)

Thanks ahead of time,
Mahalo,
Robin V.
www.spreetz.net
January 13, 2011 8:24:26 AM

Dear friend,

Your combination of CPU and MB is very good.
I own phenom 550 and it can handle any game without problem.
As far as your graphic card is concerned, hD 5770 is very good card but it cannot be crossfire with on board graphic card ie. HD 4200 as 5770 is very strong in comparison to HD 4200.
So your onboard graphic card is of no use under such condition.

So everything is okay with your system.

Dig.
m
l
Related resources
January 13, 2011 8:52:50 AM

Dig Indeed...Thanks.

I was under the impression that the onboard GPU could handle some of the processes while the 5770 screams along. I guess what you're saying is that they are only as strong as their weakest link, that being the onboard 4200. Like RAM I guess. Thanks, this is all very interesting to me.

Appreciate the help. I dig Vijay by the way, but Ernie is my botjke.

Mahalo,
Robin V.
www.spreetz.net
m
l
a c 121 ) Power supply
January 13, 2011 2:42:55 PM

That Thermaltake PSU is overrated. Fortunately, your system is not particularly demanding, and should pull less than 300W under load. If you decide to replace the PSU (I see that you are interested in efficiency, as am I), get a $45 380W Antec Earthwatts.
m
l
!