Laptop key board locked or frozen

davie hansford

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2011
Hi could anyone help my laptop keyboard has frozen or lock the laptop is a eee pc and has had xp installed on it the kep board has stopped working and iam unsure if there is anything i can do to unlock it.
many thanks Dave hansford

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Found this on a HP netbook, so I am hoping it is similar to your Asus:

As far as know with HP machines there should be a lock key near the LCD screen. To disable the keyboard lock, hit the key and simply enter the User Password to unlock it.
The only other way i know is to power the laptop off, remove the power cord and the battery, then put the battery back in and power the laptop up again, that usually brings the keyboard back to life. You can however use the on-screen keyboard if none of this works.

If this doesn't help, let me know and I'll dig some more. HOOAH!!!

davie hansford

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2011

Hi will try these thanks for the information ;)

moody89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
Not sure if you have solved this problem yet but I had this problem on my own laptop and I thought there was something serious wrong. Turned out there was a key on the laptop which disabled keyboard input. You had to hold the Fn (function) key and press one of the number keys on the keyboard. Sounds stupid and I certainly felt stupid afterwards but sometimes you don't look at the obvious! Had me going for a good few days too ;) It's worth checking!

liniep

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012
I tried the suggestions in this forum and nothing worked. I removed the battery and all. When i hit the keyboard lock, nothing seems to happen. I found a reset button hit that too but all that it does is blacks out the screen for 2 secs and goes back to the original frozen scree. The screen stays in the ASUS logo and then at the bottom it has press F2 to set up or Press Tab for BOST or something message.

Can someone please help