Sign in with
Your question

On which aspect is Sandy Bridge Surperior?

Last response: in CPUs
January 13, 2011 1:57:32 PM

Okay,I tried reading the reviews or rather previews of Sandy Bridge technology,but they were so complicated and I didn't understand anything.Now that these CPU's are out,I wanted to ask,what makes them so excitedly waited?
At some models I looked at,the speed (Ghz) was higher but cache was smaller (6MB) and the cache was what made Core2 Duo's surperior to Dual Cores as far as I know.

I'd be grate ful if you could enlighten me.
Thanks
a c 209 à CPUs
January 13, 2011 3:35:54 PM

The differences in the archtecture are far more important to performance than any specs you will see on the box, just like how the i5 750 had similar specs to the C2Qs but lower clock speed but still managed to keep up with or beat them in everything, the higher speed and smaller cache doesnt effect nearly as much as making a slightly more efficient pipeline to get more done.

Ignore specs entirely, just look at the benchmarks.
a c 114 à CPUs
January 13, 2011 3:49:31 PM

anroin said:
Okay,I tried reading the reviews or rather previews of Sandy Bridge technology,but they were so complicated and I didn't understand anything.Now that these CPU's are out,I wanted to ask,what makes them so excitedly waited?
At some models I looked at,the speed (Ghz) was higher but cache was smaller (6MB) and the cache was what made Core2 Duo's surperior to Dual Cores as far as I know.

I'd be grate ful if you could enlighten me.
Thanks

You need to compare the instruction sets per arch. SIMD/SSE4 is highly optimized with SB as compared to previous lines, and introduces a new optimized branch predictor along with better parallelization and support for new AVX instructions.

hunter315 said:
The differences in the archtecture are far more important to performance than any specs you will see on the box, just like how the i5 750 had similar specs to the C2Qs but lower clock speed but still managed to keep up with or beat them in everything, the higher speed and smaller cache doesnt effect nearly as much as making a slightly more efficient pipeline to get more done.

Ignore specs entirely, just look at the benchmarks

Worst. Advice. Ever.

!