Solved

Questions and more Questions??

Tags:
  • Gaming
  • PlayStation
  • Components
Last response: in Components
January 13, 2011 1:58:03 PM

So I haven't done any PC gaming and was wondering what sort of gaming experience this setup would bring.

P8P67PRO
i7 2600
2x 4GB Vengance
2x GTX460 Asus 768MB
2x 320GB Samsung F1 RAID0

The last lot of gaming I did was PS3, things like GTAIV, SFII and GT5 but ended up with no time and sold everything.

My questions are -

Bottlenecking, what is it, any issues?
Using 768M instead of 1GB cards, any issues?
Would extra RAM, more than 4GB improve gaming?
Would an SSD dramatically improve gaming?
What level of system is needed to produce a similar gaming experiance as the PS3?

I've just been sent Mafia II with PHYSX free with a card I brought and want to try it out, any views on PHYSX and other decent game recommendations would be cool.

Thanks to anyone that can be bothered to answer all these questions, even if you know about some still answer.

Thanks.

More about : questions questions

a b 4 Gaming
January 13, 2011 2:20:23 PM

Can't see any bottleneck. The 1Gb cards are much better for the money especially at high res. Extra RAM over 4gb will not make much difference but may be more future proof. SSD will make things load quicker I am not sure if there will be other benefits. Don't really know about the PS3 question my best guess would be around an Athlon x3 with a Radeon 5770 but some games that are written for consoles are coded badly for PC need more.
m
l
January 13, 2011 4:43:43 PM

So when do bottlenecks occur?
Already got the cards so they'll have to do. :D 

So this should play pretty well then?
m
l
Related resources
a c 244 4 Gaming
a b î Playstation
January 13, 2011 4:53:49 PM

The system you listed should be able to run any game out there at pretty high settings. You may not be able to play at very high frames at the highest settings due to the smaller texture memory size, but I dont see anything running at under 40 fps on your rig.
m
l
January 13, 2011 9:24:59 PM

What about hooking it up to a 1080P 37" LCD, any problems there?
m
l
January 13, 2011 9:27:24 PM

You can't fold and game at the same time ;)  I can see a dedicated folding rig on the horizon!!!
m
l
January 13, 2011 9:30:04 PM

I've mainly been buying for Folding hence the 768MB cards but I'm not going to be able to resist not having a rip on it. :D 
m
l
January 13, 2011 9:33:31 PM

That's half the reason I refuse to allow myself to buy GTX 460's - the 360 will end up gathering dust and my PC will end up burning a hole in my pocket ;)  Happy gaming!
m
l
January 14, 2011 5:48:10 AM

beanoslim said:
So when do bottlenecks occur?

When one device has to wait a "significant" amount of time on another device. "Significant" in this case means milliseconds.

The main bottleneck in a system is the hard drive. Everything waits on the hard drive. But you clearly mean the CPU and GPU. If the CPU cannot keep the GPU fed, the CPU is the bottleneck. Likewise, if the CPU has to wait for for the GPU to finish rendering the last frame, the GPU is the bottleneck.

It's difficult to build a "balanced" system because games have different requirements.
m
l
January 14, 2011 8:38:14 AM

So if anything on this setup it would be the hdd's, thats why I was asking about SSD.

SSD or Velociraptor???

You know anything about hooking it up to an HD TV?

Thanks.
m
l
January 14, 2011 10:53:51 AM

I grabbed an OCZ Vertex 2E 60GB for £80 on offer and am very impressed with it. I don't like a load of programs installed (I'm a bit of a minimalist) so 60GB was fine for me but they do 120GB versions as well. That being said, I think there's a new SandForce controller on the horizon so that may be worth waiting for.

I often watch HD Video on my HD TV from my PC. I just use an HDMI cable straight from the PC to the TV. Your 460's should definitely have HDMI.
m
l
January 14, 2011 11:50:18 AM

So obviously to benifit you'd have to install your games on them, how much space does the average game take up?

Yeah I heard there are better cheaper 300gb versions on the way.

The 460's have mini hdmi, just wondered if the tv would effect the speed or quality of the display compared to a pc monitor?
m
l

Best solution

a c 244 4 Gaming
a b î Playstation
January 14, 2011 1:10:11 PM

A SSD will not speed up games, just application loading and boot up speed. Will be a good boost for video editing and encoding. Game speed, once loaded, is mostly RAM/video card/CPU. If you don't have enough RAM to load the game fully in it, it will use the drive a bit, but if you benchmark things, I don't think you will see a noticable improvement. You generally need about a 20-30% improvement in speed for someone to say "hey, that is faster". 1080p will be fine on your system.
January 14, 2011 1:22:23 PM

Right, what about CAS7/8/9 ram timings, is it worth the lower timings, ie a noticable differance?

Also just out of interest if this machine was the same setup with these changes, which would perform better gaming.

Asus P658D-E
i7 950
2x3 gig RAM

Lets say both cpu's are clocked at 4ghz, the ram is the same timings but obviously dual and triple.

Thanks.
m
l
January 18, 2011 1:17:21 PM

Any views anyone?
m
l
January 24, 2011 11:25:07 PM

Best answer selected by beanoslim.
m
l
a c 244 4 Gaming
a b î Playstation
January 25, 2011 1:35:58 PM

beanoslim said:
Right, what about CAS7/8/9 ram timings, is it worth the lower timings, ie a noticable differance?

Also just out of interest if this machine was the same setup with these changes, which would perform better gaming.

Asus P658D-E
i7 950
2x3 gig RAM

Lets say both cpu's are clocked at 4ghz, the ram is the same timings but obviously dual and triple.

Thanks.

Timings, by themselves, you would not notice. However, lets say you got an SSD, got tripple channel, tweaked the drives, got rid of some backgrond programs, etc.. then it will all add up to a noticable difference. A few 2-3-4% speed upgrades will add up eventually.
m
l