Sign in with
Your question
Solved

2600k cooler

Last response: in CPUs
January 13, 2011 2:15:49 PM

So i finally have the time to go and purchase the components for my rig tomorrow.
Here are the specs im getting.

CPU
- i7 2600k

MOBO
- Asus P8P67 Deluxe

RAM
- Corsair Dominator 1600 C9 8GB kit CMP8GX3M2A-1600C9 (4GBx2)

SSD
- Crucial C300 128GB

HDD
- Samsung F3 1TB x2 in RAID 0

Graphics Card
- Nvidia GTX 570 sli

Power Supply
- Corsair HX850

DVD
- HP 24x litescribe dvd drive

Cooler
- no clue

Case
- Cooler Master 690 II Advanced

I know that the new 32nm sandy bridge chips run pretty cool but i plan on overclocking to ~4.5GHz so i will need a good cpu cooler (i live in singapore and the ambient temps are very high, probably 27+ degrees celcius w/o my A.C on). Which CPU cooler would fit in the mid tower 690 II advanced case and be compatible with my RAMs heatsinks? I was looking towards something like prolimatech megahalems but i'm not sure how it will perform or if it will fit/clear my case / ram.

Thanks.

More about : 2600k cooler

Best solution

a b à CPUs
January 13, 2011 2:27:08 PM

You only really need a 650w psu but that 850w would cover you if you get a 2nd card.

I'd get the Megahalems or Venomous X, this may help you, most coolers should fit in your case ok.
http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm

The towers will be fine with your ram it when you start looking at the Silver Arrow or Noctua DH14 you may have issues.

With the Ven and Mega you'll need to get a couple of fans, scythe slipstream, Enermax, Yate Loon do some nice ones.
a b à CPUs
January 13, 2011 2:37:11 PM

Ven X all the way if you're REALLY pushing the chip, otherwise the new Zalman 9900MAX will do you very well and looks the business too.

With only 2 DIMMs you won't get any interference with fans on a Ven X, but if you fill up all 4 slots then you'll probably have problems with the Dominator's fins. The Zalman doesn't have this issue however.

If you can get it, how about looking at Mushkin Ridgeback instead of the Dominators? They perform just as well (if not better sometimes) and don't have very tall fins which don't interfere with anything, even the stupid coolers like the Noctua and Silver Arrow mentioned by beanoslim.
m
l
Related resources
January 13, 2011 2:50:14 PM

beanoslim said:
You only really need a 650w psu but that 850w would cover you if you get a 2nd card.

I'd get the Megahalems or Venomous X, this may help you, most coolers should fit in your case ok.
http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm

The towers will be fine with your ram it when you start looking at the Silver Arrow or Noctua DH14 you may have issues.

With the Ven and Mega you'll need to get a couple of fans, scythe slipstream, Enermax, Yate Loon do some nice ones.

Thanks for your reply, i think i will go with the ven x then. I got the 850w because im getting 2 570s :) .
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 13, 2011 2:52:40 PM

No problem, get the Black Edition, I just got one and put 2 Enermax white LED cluster fans on, looks awesome.

Nice system you have planned there...enjoy... [:bohleyk:1]
m
l
January 13, 2011 2:54:08 PM

LePhuronn said:
Ven X all the way if you're REALLY pushing the chip, otherwise the new Zalman 9900MAX will do you very well and looks the business too.

With only 2 DIMMs you won't get any interference with fans on a Ven X, but if you fill up all 4 slots then you'll probably have problems with the Dominator's fins. The Zalman doesn't have this issue however.

If you can get it, how about looking at Mushkin Ridgeback instead of the Dominators? They perform just as well (if not better sometimes) and don't have very tall fins which don't interfere with anything, even the stupid coolers like the Noctua and Silver Arrow mentioned by beanoslim.

i wouldn't mind going for other RAM but the availability where i live is pretty limited, shops normally tend to stock corsair/ocz/patriot :( 
m
l
January 13, 2011 2:54:38 PM

Best answer selected by undadawg.
m
l
!