Laptop components

Abruh

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011
Well first off I'm not sure if this is the right place.
Anyways, I'm interested in building a new gaming rig (first timer) and realized I have some spare parts from my old laptop (Dell XPS M1530).

Basically I was wondering if I could use some of these parts in my new build? The laptop is only a few years old and I already took it apart. I was able to get a 2gb ram stick, WLAN card and a 250gb hard drive from it.

What I'm wondering is could I couple the 2gb ram stick with 2 other 2gb ram sticks to make 6gb and put it on my motherboard (I'm just making sure the brand doesn't have to be same and that laptop ram is the same as desktop ram or something)

next question is, since I couldn't connect my router/modem to my new rig, could I use this WLAN card in my desktop for wireless internet?

Third question, could I use the Toshiba 250gb hard drive in my new rig, I wouldn't need any more space than that, and if I did I would just get a new one in the future, but I want to make sure this would one work so I dont find out it doesnt and have to wait an extra week to ship out a new one from newegg

thanks in advance!

COLGeek

Cybernaut
There are mini-ITX motherboards (and some industrial versions) that use the SO-DIMM type of memory found in laptops. They tend to be expensive and offer limited upgradability.

An example of one is here:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813153174&Tpk=mini%20itx

However, you can definitely use the HDD with the proper adapter to allow for mounting in a typical PC case. There are even cases now that have mounting options for 2.5 inch SSDs that are the same size as your typical notebook HDD.

With this particular motherboard, it also looks like your WLAN card could be accomodated in the mini-PCIe slot.

This all being said this mini-ITX based project is not nearly as flexible as a "normal" motherboard option. My recommendation would be to sell the stuff you have on eBay or Craigslist and then buy a "regular" system based on your needs.

Good luck!