1366-still the fastest and most expensive. 1156 cheapest of the three; look for used cpus and boards for the best value as people upgrade to 1155. 1155 best onboard graphics and 't' series unlocked multiplier for overclocking. Does not work with 1156 motherboards; new boards available in h67 (onboard video support) or p67 chipsets.

rickcindy740

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011

You have all been a great help! I'm trying to understand all this mostly because I'm curious. HOWEVER- I do need to upgrade. I'm an amature photo nut, and I work with a lot of graphics. Also edit and compose DVDs ( wedings etc) With all the new software coming out, my old system is just not cutting it any more. I'm tired of waiting an hour to render a 20 min DVD.
Thanks for all the info and help,
Rick

4745454b

Titan
I wouldn't get any of that. If your buying an i7 950, you would be much better off with the i5 2500(k?). Couple that with a GTS450 or GTX460 for any programs that use CUDA and you should be set. 4 or 8GBs of DDR3 will be fine, 12GBs is overkill. Drives are a choice, not getting into it now.

Specific to you, the features of each board and their advantages are not too relevant because you would not make use of them for the most aprt. You might be interested in socket 1155 though due to the EFI "bios" and support for hard disks over 2TB. Or rather, support for partitions over 2TB.

Other than that, each platform offers different CPUs. The 1366 socket is the only one to offer a 6 core processor. However, that is only if you are willing to spend $1000 on the CPU alone.

Personally, I recommend an 1155 motherboard with a core i5 2500 or, for $100 more and if your programs are heavily threaded, the i7 2600 might be worth it. Note that I do not speak from personal experience, only from what I have read and seen.

rickcindy740

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
Again- THANK YOU ALL!!! This helps a great deal. I also found out last night that most of my issues may be the program(Pinnacle-Studio 14). I'm Finding out that many of my contemperaries are haveing the same issues regardless of thier hardware, HOWEVER I am running an anique, and need to upgrade anyway, so you folks have been a GREAT HELP. Anything else?? I'm all ears(well in this case eyes)
Thanks,
Rick