Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a thread for those who wish to post their opinion about how these two cards may perform against each other and higher tier cards such as the GTX 460. I am in the market for a single card for my 21st birthday and am a student so budget is a must. My current machine employs two 9800gt 1gb editions however the machine is highly cpu bound and doesn't scale well compared to my Intel 780i build. So they will be going back into that machine while I move over into a single gpu environment. I would do crossfire and have the bridges already on hand but cpu bound.

Current specs

8250e (B2 stepping) oc 2.6ghz (274 base)
6gb soon to be 8gb next week

Antec Neo HE550w Overvolted 12v rails 12.27v at this time.

Ga-Ma790x-DS4 (w/sli hack via os)

6 Hard drives total no optical

I do not intend on upgrading my cpu at this time as I am a student thus cheap.

From what I have been able to find is that it is G106 and is 192 shaders on a 128bit GDDR5. So the $130 has my interest wanting a easy Nvidia card. The G108 is closer to GT240/9800gt/9600gt performance. I hope that I am not disappointed once it comes out just after my birthday. I am not fond of the $150-200 price tag that the 5770 carries while a few do sink below that but I look at before rebate costs including shipping.

GF106 is printed right on the chip in those pics.
Those numbers are interesting. That the HD5770 rapes it in Crysis even with a hefty OC is bit disconcerting.

I feel its a little early to read too much into one set of figures but its encouraging from the competition side of things. I also think that if this was an ATI launch someone would have posted"yea but wait for the driver increases" by now ;) I guess Nvidia cards benefit from driver improvements also so there should be better to come.
Price point will be interesting, if they can bring this to market under cutting the 5770 then it should be a popular card.

Mactronix :)

well after looking around there is some very vague info about a GTS 455 as well. Looking at a few shots that I found on a Chinese site and the reference pcp there may be an 192bit option as well. 4 modules on the gpu side and 4 on the back that are 32bit each with two blacks on each side. I hope that both hit the market at once. There is some driver info that shows a lot of mobile Fermi (great heat on the go) but at least these lower end cards will be cheap enough for me and have decent clocks.

40742991.jpg

89820703.jpg

decode

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
5770 Beats a 450 and is also $10 cheaper according to to an israeli tech site I reviewed.

If you are waiting for the 450 I suggest you either buy a 5770 or instead wait until october and get a 6770 or 6750.

Here is my source for the GTS 450 Review.

@ iam2thecrowe,
As i said i think the price point willl make or break this card. If its under the 5770 then it sells as there are plenty of people who view the 5770 as over priced, so something that is ball park as good should sell if its priced that bit under a 5770.
@ decode,
Your link dosent work for me im afraid.

Pricing obviously depends where you are in the world, Im in the UK.
On balance i think it best to wait for all the players to come out if you are in the market for a card in this price/ performance area. Im hoping Nvidia will keep up the presure on ATI price wise with both the 450 and 455.
Im making a guess here but when i sat and thought about it the other day 240/288 cores/SP's on a 192 bit bus would seem to be the logical way to go. 768/1gb memory ? Im thinking probably 240 is more likley so as to keep a performance gap between it and the 460 768 192 bit version.

Anyway its good to see some decent cards coming through at last.

Your link isnt working but your statement is misleading at best.
There are 4 5770's cheaper than the cheapest 5830 on that site which by the way is out of stock and the next 5830 up in price is dearer than all the 5770's on the site.
What you should have said is its now possible to get a 5830 cheaper than most 5770's except its out of stock so on that site at the moment even that's technically wrong.
I agree that by UK pricing the 5770 has been demoted the go to card for people on a budget and with smaller resolutions. The GTX 460 768mb version is a better card than either the 5770 or the 5830 and can be had for £145 while most 5770's are around the£120 mark although you can get them cheaper £106 at scan at the moment :)

This can only be good for us consumers which ever camps cards we are looking at we will finally get some competition.
Unless ATI digs its heels in like it did when the 460GTX was launched. It was very slow to drop prices in my opinion. If it does this then I will have just one more reason to defect to Nvidia products. I have always used ATI but as of late there seems to be a switch with the two companies, I'm used to the performance roundabout but I have never seen ATI cut up the price/performance segments so clinically before.
I fully understand its a business and its all about maximising profit, but for a company who so recently hung its hat on "big performance at a budget price" its sure seems to be acting more like the old Nvidia "whatever we can sell at whatever we can get away with".
Hopefully the new competition will continue up the performance ladder and encourage both sides to give the consumer a bit of value back.

Correct, speculation/opinion. The first line of the thread reads.
"This is a thread for those who wish to post their opinion about how these two cards may perform against each other and higher tier cards such as the GTX 460"

Mactronix

I have decided to go with something else having seen more benchmarks. It only trades places with the GTS250, GTX260, and the 5750 while it can beat a 5770 but only when nuked so for $140 usd before ship it may not be worth it. I had the chance to preorder one but missed out.

Status
Not open for further replies.