I7 920 Overclocked @3.6GHZ Boot issue

marney_5

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
Hi All!

I've overclocked my i7 920 to 3.6ghz and set the voltage to 1.25 and then when I switch my system on sometimes it does'nt boot up! everything has powered up but no post, but when I press the restart button it boots up straight away. This doest happen everytime though, probably once out of 3 times.

Its starting to get tedius waiting for it to not boot up and then having to restart the system everytime! All temps are fine when idle and during stress test, it never reaches above 60C on full load.

Any suggestions anyone?

Regards

teh_tourist

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
It sounds to me like you're pushing the system too hard. I would recommend stepping the OC down until the system will boot reliably, as continuing to use it while it's unstable like this could fry your components.

beltzy

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
If you just picked a random speed and voltage, then you shouldn't be too terribly surprised that you are getting instability. OC'ing should be sort of a process where you start increasing certain settings until you find the edge of stability, and end up fniding the limits of your chip.

Below is a good guide that is a fairly short read but will instruct you on how to go through this process. Be ready to spend some time, but in the end you'll have a stable OC and be confident that you've gone just about as far as your system will go.

http://www.techreaction.net/2010/09/07/3-step-overclocking-guide-bloomfield-and-gulftown/

festerovic

Distinguished
From this:
Its starting to get tedius waiting for it to not boot up and then having to restart the system everytime! All temps are fine when idle and during stress test, it never reaches above 60C on full load.

This is at stock or OC'ed? Because you may have memory problems that you might end up blaming on the OC of the CPU. If I was you, I would read the link from beltzy above, and then check into the memory. In my experience, the memory and its settings are frequently at fault, regardless of the CPU OC.

bobthecatkiller

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010
wow im so surprised no one has asked you for all your other components and your psu by over clocking your useing more power maybe your just putting your psu over the top
on a side note my cuzins pc has a huge psu and does the same thing as yours iv tried everything with that pc but cant seem to fix the problem
hope you find a answer

marney_5

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
Thanks everyone for your comments.

I don't think the PSU is a problem, its only a couple of months old.

Hi-Power Black 800W Modular 13.5cm Fan PSU - 4x PCI-E, 20+4pin, 6x SATA.

I've also tried following all the tutorials when I first overclocked my CPU and I managed to push it to 4.20GHZ, but because it was slightly unstable under full load and a little bit too hot I pulled it down to the current 3.60GHZ, reducing the voltage each time.

Maybe I need to slightly increase the voltage to give my CPU a bit more "juice". I'll play around with it when I finish work!