New Builder Needs help

Matt214

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
Hello,

I recently put together a computer for the first time and I am running into some error messages. I'm using the Crosshair V Formula Mobo and an AMD 1100T Black Edition CPU. Im getting two errors:

CPU Fan Error!
The Current CPU cant use ASUS core unlocker!

I searched for these errors and found some solutions. However, my real problem seems to be that when I go into my UEFI and change the settings to fix these errors, when the computer reboots, they remain unchanged. Ive tried resetting the CMOS both manually and with the button on the Mobo. I also have flashed the mobo with the latest version.

What am I doing wrong? Am I missing something? Like i said this is my first time building a computer so go easy on me with all the technical terms :??:

On the fan error, on that board there are 2 connectors next to each other labled CPU Fan. Make sure it is plugged into the one closer to the backpanel connections.

The second issue might (I actually don't know, just a guess) be related to the fan error. Where it shuts down any kind of processes that would create high temps while it does not have a working fan.

Matt214

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
The Fan I have is plugged into CPU_FAN and CPU_OPT. They are both 4 pin connectors. (dunno if thats relevant). When I flashed the BIOS the CPU Fan Error went away for one reboot and the other error remained. After another reboot the fan error came back :(

Matt214

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
I plugged both the heatsink fans into the y connector and then into CPU_FAN as you suggested and the CPU Fan Error went away!! TYVM!

When I was getting the CPU fan error it would always beep at me, 1 long followed by 4 short. When the fan error went away so did the beeping. I am still seeing "The current cpu cant use ASUS core unlocker!" However the default setting for core unlocker is disabled and I have not changed it. Im wondering if this message is an error or if its just a notification?

Also I noticed my BOOT_DEVICE LED is lit up red. I have my primary boot device set as my optical drive. Does the red LED mean its searching the optical drive but cant find anything? I have not yet attempted to install windows either. Im wondering if I should give it a shot now that the beeping disappeared?

Matt214

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
I cleared CMOS, set everything to default, put my HD in SATA1 and set it to primary boot device. This did not fix the LED problem or the Error IM getting. Here are some pics of the error message.

oifa77.jpg

15ckeua.jpg

First, there's nothing to 'unlock' so don't use any BIOS and/or App trying to 'unlock' the full 6-cores you already have -- it doesn't have 7,8,9...etc.

As far as the Fan error, IF you're using a bad or 'homemade' splitter then it may have all 3 or 4 wires going to the CPU_Header and since only (1) fan can transmit e.g. RPM it can and will produce errors.

Matt214

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
Well, the fan error is gone, but the Core unlocker error still remains. I was able to go to my boot menu and boot manually, so I got windows installed etc. Gonna be kind of a pain to manually boot from bios every time, but w/e, better than not booting at all... Thanks everyone for your help.