October 19, 2010 8:24:38 PM

current specs:
intel e7500
asus p5kpl-am se
9800gt 512 sonic edition
4gb ram
fsp 550w supersonic
18"philips lcd

if i upgrade my monitor to a 20 or 21 inch led, do i need to upgrade my vcard as well? i can run med-high setings with my current monitor. just want to make sure when i upgrade, i will not have any problems.

thanks guys!

More about : advice build

a b B Homebuilt system
a b C Monitor
October 19, 2010 8:50:26 PM

Should be fine. What resolution do you play at now and what would you use on the new monitor? Regardless, for most apps/games you should be good to go.
October 19, 2010 9:00:56 PM

i am currently playing at 1368x768 on most of the new games i am playing... just want to make sure that if i upgrade to a bigger monitor, i will not have any problems.

followup question, if i go 5779 or gtx 460 will i suffer from bottlenecks?
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
a b C Monitor
October 19, 2010 9:09:28 PM

Not really, you should be okay with either. I prefer the 5770, but others will recommend the 460. Go for what you can afford and offers the best deal for you.

The larger monitors are likely no more than 1980x1080 native resolution. Since you are going with a new monitor. Check it out with what you have and then decide if you want the upgraded GPU.

Good luck!
October 20, 2010 1:41:48 AM

COLGeek said:
Not really, you should be okay with either. I prefer the 5770, but others will recommend the 460. Go for what you can afford and offers the best deal for you.

The larger monitors are likely no more than 1980x1080 native resolution. Since you are going with a new monitor. Check it out with what you have and then decide if you want the upgraded GPU.

Good luck!

tnx for the reply.. i will try to get my monitor the soonest possible time. I hope i wont see any changes :D 
a b B Homebuilt system
a b C Monitor
October 20, 2010 1:45:01 AM

Keep in mind that playing games at higher resolutions puts more stress (increased processing) on the GPU. You can always adjust the video settings of your games and you always have the option to upgrade to a stronger GPU. Good luck!
October 20, 2010 2:27:38 AM

COLGeek said:
Keep in mind that playing games at higher resolutions puts more stress (increased processing) on the GPU. You can always adjust the video settings of your games and you always have the option to upgrade to a stronger GPU. Good luck!

yeah.. i was worried i might kill my vc lol.. but im also planning to start an upgrade starting with the monitor first, then probably by a new vc which can last for another year or two.. appreciate your prompt response on my queries! ;) 
a b B Homebuilt system
a b C Monitor
October 25, 2010 1:32:15 AM

So how is the new monitor and your system performance?
October 25, 2010 2:51:31 AM

COLGeek said:
So how is the new monitor and your system performance?

i will be purchasing it this 29th... im having some issues with my setup now :(  still desperately trying to find the cure.. :cry: 
a b B Homebuilt system
a b C Monitor
October 25, 2010 8:13:42 PM

Do you have another thread going as well?
a b B Homebuilt system
a b C Monitor
October 26, 2010 1:08:32 AM

Took a look. Weird problem. I would tell you to check your sleep settings in your Power Options, but seems you weren't using anyway.

I always turn all sleep options OFF for desktop machines.
October 26, 2010 1:56:52 AM

COLGeek said:
Took a look. Weird problem. I would tell you to check your sleep settings in your Power Options, but seems you weren't using anyway.

I always turn all sleep options OFF for desktop machines.

Yah.. strange indeed. The sleep function is always disabled for me. Anyhow, I will update this thread when I have my new and shiny monitor. LOLZ But I am still a bit worried this problem might happen.. hopefully I sorted it out.. :sol: 
!