Sign in with
Your question
Solved

What are the symptoms of a new build being unstable?

Last response: in Systems
October 19, 2010 10:05:54 PM

Hi everyone.

I've just put together my second build with a new motherboard, new processor, and new RAM, but my old harddrive, video card, and power supply.

The new gear is the following:
ASUS P6T motherboard
Intel i7 920 processor
1x ADATA 2GB 1600MHz DIMM (I have two more of these on the way)

I'm running Windows XP SP3. Now that I've finally got the hardware turning on so that the machine can boot to Windows, it's slower than I expected. It's about as fast starting up as the hardware I took out of it that was 4 years old. More troubling tho is how it will freeze up and not run programs in windows. I can run small simple programs like Solitare and Minesweeper, but a lot of the time I can't run any applications like a web browser or much of anything that makes the operating system think too hard. It doesn't freeze on me so much as just not let me do anything. Even when I try to shut down, it will just sit there. Some programs will close ok (icons next to the clock go away), but most don't, and then I always end up holding the power button to shut it down.

I've never had an issue like this before. Is my new hardware not tweaked right? I don't know anything about overclocking or optimization. I just want the new gear I bought to work, be stable, and with a little luck, run faster than my old machine.

Any thoughts?
a c 104 B Homebuilt system
October 19, 2010 10:29:39 PM

Did you reinstall the OS? Did you load all the drivers for the motherboard?
m
l
October 19, 2010 11:18:03 PM

The OS just boots from my old hard drive. I didn't modify it in any way. I did install all the drivers and utilities that came with the motherboard once it was up and running.
m
l
Related resources
October 19, 2010 11:29:07 PM

You need at minimum do a repair install of windows, recommended is a clean install.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 19, 2010 11:30:40 PM

If you didn't do a fresh install or delete the drivers from the old motherboard, this is causing the unstable system. I would recommend doing a fresh install of your OS to see if this solves the problem.
m
l
October 19, 2010 11:48:20 PM

So old drivers might be conflicting with the new ones and not allowing programs to run or shut down properly? I'll look into it.
Is there a way to reinstall Windows XP without wiping the hard drive and reinstalling all my stuff? If it comes to that, I'd just rather buy a new HD and a copy of Windows 7.
m
l

Best solution

October 19, 2010 11:58:57 PM

You can do a repair install with out wiping. Start from windows CD / select install/ and select repair when it detects a previous windows install. If that does not fix it then doing a clean install should.
October 20, 2010 12:00:06 AM

Cool, thanks. I'll try it out and report back.
m
l
October 26, 2010 3:22:28 AM

Best answer selected by Sgt Yamm.
m
l
October 26, 2010 3:25:11 AM

Ok. Repair install failed and would not boot. It warned me during the install that failing is always an option. So that's fine I guess.

The complete reinstall worked. The system runs like a champ now. But a lot of my apps need reinstalling. To my surprise, some of them don't.

Now I just gotta put Windows 7 on my Christmas list so I can take advantage of all my new 64 bit architecture.

Thanks for all your help.
m
l
!