ATI HD5670 vs. GeForce GTS 250

Crusard

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010
Hi all!
My brother will be travelling to the US in a few weeks, sond I'm already working on my amazon wishlist to buy some pc components :)

I've read a "budget pc guide" which I've seen linked in these forums, which recommended the HD5670 as the best for its price. But now I've noticed nVidia's GTS250 is only about 10 dollars more expensive.
Which of the two would you recommend? Maybe even another card different than these two?

Wait till after the 13th to see how prices swing due to the introduction of the GTS 450 then see what gets your fancy. The GTS 250 out performs the 5670 by a nice margin despite the power consumption. If you want efficiency then the 5670 wins out having no need for a connector and sports DX11 and SM 5.0 support. Pay no attention to any 512mb card even for low res gaming as it will be minimum before to long. GDDR5

Zipzoomflyhigh has posted a thread in this section regarding the availability of a HD 5770 for as 113$.. Check it for more details.. As for choosing between the HD 5670 and GTS 250, i'll vote for the HD 5670.. Its newer and has DX 11..

Niether, wait till the 450 drops and then decide, the 5670 has DX11 and pulls less juice but its on the weak side so don’t expect nice frame rates unless you are running insanely low resolutions.

That expires today. :cry: Damn I don't get paid till late tomorrow afternoon. :(

You could place the order today and use the pay by check or money order option -- doing that will allow you 7 days to mail them a check or money order to pay for it at that price !! (this will lengthen the shipping time since they will not ship until your check clears your bank but does buy you the extra week and you can lock in the advertised price (I've done that a couple times in order to lock in a special price when it expired before my payday and never had a problem !)

May I pay using a check or a money order?

You can place an order and pay by check or money order by clicking the "Continue" button "pre-paid"; in the "Check or Money Order" section of the payment page. You will then be instructed on how to proceed with your order. Basically, you'll have to write the order number on your check, print your confirmation, wrap the check or money order in it and send it to:

Newegg.com
16839 E. Gale Ave.
City of Industry, CA 91745
Ref: so# (write your order number here)

We must receive your payment within 7 days of the day you placed your order, or your order will be cancelled.

Crusard

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010
Hmmm that 5770 sounds very good!
Altough my bro won't be travelling to the US sooner than a month from now, we have relatives over there who can probably keep the gpu for us.

I'll definetely be checking that out, otherwise I think I'm going for the 250's raw power over 5670's techs. Thanks everyone for your replies!

A month from now it all may have changed -- by then the Nvidia 450 will have released (and is supposed to be a competitor for the 5700 series) and the ATI 6000 series will be close to release so pricing on the current cards may start dropping to clear excess inventory !