Sign in with
Your question

Building AMD Gaming system... First build

Last response: in Systems
October 20, 2010 2:00:50 AM

I am in the process of building a gaming PC mostly for the fun of it, and to learn how to do it right... especially the first time. I am interested in overclocking, water-cooling systems, and Crossfire. I'm not to concerned with the prices of the products you suggest, just as long as we don't go overboard (like $600 for a GPU), haha. I will include what I have already purchased below. Thanks in advance for your help!

Already purchased:

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ965FBGMBOX

GIGABYTE GA-890FXA-UD7 AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 XL ATX AMD Motherboard

COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942-KKN1 Black Steel/ Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Now looking for tips on what to buy for these:

GPU's (at least 2), PSU (what wattage), Ram, and water cooling systems

I'll figure these out later:

HDD's, drives in general.

Thanks!
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
October 20, 2010 2:39:10 AM

Well because you've already bought the motherboard, you are now restricted to only Radeon GPUs(as you've specified you wish to Crossfire)

The Wattage of the PSU will depend on the Graphics Cards.

RAM is pretty easy.

As for WC, are you looking for a simple maintenance free closed loops system like an H50/H70 or do you no kidding want to do a full WC set up?
October 20, 2010 2:45:00 AM

Thanks for the reply. I am just curious as to which Radeon GPU you recommend and which corresponding PSU. I looked at the H50/70 and I definitely want to go ahead with a full WC setup. Maybe you could point me to some sites with some good guides and such. I appreciate it!
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
October 20, 2010 4:20:21 AM

Your GPU choice depends on your monitor resolution and what games you intend to play.
!