4GB Installed - 2GB Usable

MustacheMuffin

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
Windows 7 x64
CPU: Intel Core i5 760
Motherboard: ASUS P7P55D-E Pro LGA 1156
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 470
Hard Drive: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 1TB

I've had the problem where I had 4gb into the slots but only 2Gb was coming up.
The past 10 minutes I've pulled them out and tried installing them again. After a bunch of tries I got it to show 4GB installed. However, It now says only 2Gb is usable.

How do I fix this?

Max Memory is un-checked.

MemoryPicture004.jpg

MemoryPicture003.jpg

MemoryPicture002.jpg
'

MemoryPicture.jpg

Solution
The problem is the BIOS is shutting down the RAM to the OS. This is typically done for a few reasons: 1. Bad Sticks), 2. Wrong DIMM Slot(s) {as above the correct slots are the 'Blue' slots in Dual Channel}, 3. Bad DIMM Slot(s) {try the Black but you manual states A1+B1} <or> clean RAM and DIMM slots, 4. Bad 'SPD' Data or BIOS problem, 5. Maximum Memory, 6. Bent CPU Pin(s) common on LGA 1156, 7. Rare instances of Partitions.

IMO do the following:
1. Clean RAM/DIMM - dampen the RAM contacts with 90%+ Isopropyl alcohol, insert in DIMM slots, wipe-off and repeat per DIMM slot used, remove for 5 minutes to fully dry and properly seat RAM.
2. Boot (1) stick in A1 Slot; CPU | A2 | A1 | B2 | B1 | then switch sticks and boot again...
The problem is the BIOS is shutting down the RAM to the OS. This is typically done for a few reasons: 1. Bad Sticks), 2. Wrong DIMM Slot(s) {as above the correct slots are the 'Blue' slots in Dual Channel}, 3. Bad DIMM Slot(s) {try the Black but you manual states A1+B1} <or> clean RAM and DIMM slots, 4. Bad 'SPD' Data or BIOS problem, 5. Maximum Memory, 6. Bent CPU Pin(s) common on LGA 1156, 7. Rare instances of Partitions.

IMO do the following:
1. Clean RAM/DIMM - dampen the RAM contacts with 90%+ Isopropyl alcohol, insert in DIMM slots, wipe-off and repeat per DIMM slot used, remove for 5 minutes to fully dry and properly seat RAM.
2. Boot (1) stick in A1 Slot; CPU | A2 | A1 | B2 | B1 | then switch sticks and boot again. Failure is a bad stick.
3. BIOS set the RAM manually:
AI Overclock Tuner -> Auto
DRAM Frequency -> DDR3-1600MHz
DRAM CAS Latency -> 7
DRAM RAS to CAS -> 8
DRAM RAS PRE -> 7
DRAM RAS ACT -> 24
-
DRAM Timing Mode -> 2
-
IMC Voltage -> 1.25v~1.30v ; only if failure
DRAM Voltage -> 1.60v {closet in menu}

Save & Exit = Yes

Then create a bootable CD/DVD of Memtest86+ {ISO/zip file} and run 2~4 passes for errors. Until doing steps 1-3 it's pointless. Download -> http://www.memtest.org/

Solution

MustacheMuffin

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011

Question, If I have one Ram inside and I try to boot and it fails, what does that mean? That the stick itself is bad correct?

I'll try one stick at a time and then try putting them into the A2/B2 slots.