Sign in with
Your question

What 12GB RAM Should I Get?

Last response: in Components
January 13, 2011 9:11:05 PM

I originally wanted to get this RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220518&cm_re=patriot_12gb-_-20-220-518-_-Product But then I was told it only goes to 2000MHZ when I manually overclock it....

So what 12GB ddr3 Tri channel ram would you recommend I get? I wanted something fast and powerful, $250 MAX. I have a gigabyte x58-USB3 motherboard,

THANKS

More about : 12gb ram

a c 121 K Overclocking
a c 238 V Motherboard
January 13, 2011 11:17:01 PM

1) Realize that the X58 and i7-9xx memory controllers are good enough to keep your cpu fed with data so that there is minimal advantage to faster ram or better timings. Think 1-3% in real application performance or FPS(vs. synthetic benchmarks which will look impressive, but are largely irrelevant.

2) Go to the motherboard web site and pick the lowest cost 12gb kit on their ram QVL list.
Or, go to the ram web site and access their configurator which will give you a list of compatible ram kits.
If you ever should have a problem, you want supported ram to avoid any finger pointing.

3) Get a 12gb kit of 3 x 4gb, not 6 x 2gb It is easier to oc three sticks, and you still preserve expansion capability. Also, ram is sold in kits for a reason. It is entirely possible that two different kits with the same part number, from the same vendor, can be constructed of sufficiently different components that they will be incompatible, yet they individually meet the advertised specs.

4) Do not pay much extra for faster speeds, better timings, or fancy heat spreaders. Only if you are a competitive, record seeking overclocker would such be worthwhile.
m
l
Related resources
January 13, 2011 11:23:15 PM

geofelt said:
1) Realize that the X58 and i7-9xx memory controllers are good enough to keep your cpu fed with data so that there is minimal advantage to faster ram or better timings. Think 1-3% in real application performance or FPS(vs. synthetic benchmarks which will look impressive, but are largely irrelevant.

2) Go to the motherboard web site and pick the lowest cost 12gb kit on their ram QVL list.
Or, go to the ram web site and access their configurator which will give you a list of compatible ram kits.
If you ever should have a problem, you want supported ram to avoid any finger pointing.

3) Get a 12gb kit of 3 x 4gb, not 6 x 2gb It is easier to oc three sticks, and you still preserve expansion capability. Also, ram is sold in kits for a reason. It is entirely possible that two different kits with the same part number, from the same vendor, can be constructed of sufficiently different components that they will be incompatible, yet they individually meet the advertised specs.

4) Do not pay much extra for faster speeds, better timings, or fancy heat spreaders. Only if you are a competitive, record seeking overclocker would such be worthwhile.

Hi, thanks. okay so i went to gigabyte and found the ram QVL list, but theres so many. what exact ram would you recommend then?
m
l
January 14, 2011 4:46:20 AM

Or you could get Kingston Hyperx it is the best ram for overclockers and hard gamers
m
l
January 14, 2011 1:23:56 PM

Gigabyte EX58-UD3R
m
l
a c 121 K Overclocking
a c 238 V Motherboard
January 14, 2011 1:45:12 PM

yutubemedia said:
Hi, thanks. okay so i went to gigabyte and found the ram QVL list, but theres so many. what exact ram would you recommend then?

The G.skil ram kg4icg bought should do fine.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

You can buy faster ram for $100 more, but that $100 is better spent on a faster graphics card or a SSD. You will be giving up 1-2 FPS
m
l
a b K Overclocking
a b V Motherboard
January 14, 2011 6:29:11 PM

Be better off buying a low timing top spec 3x2gb set if you ask me but its your money. :D 
m
l
!