Sign in with
Your question

Replaced video card -- got garbled video. Help!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 1, 2010 11:20:07 PM

I built my system in 2006:

Biostar T Force 965PT775
Core 2 Duo 6300
e-GeForce 7600 GT
Patriot 667 memory
Western Digital Cavier 250GB SATA II

OS = Windows XP

Two days ago, I walked into my computer room and found my screen black. I rebooted and heard 3 beeps (1 long, 2 short). After looking up the bios beep codes, I realized that my video card was probably dead.

Yesterday (!) my new video card arrived from Newegg: the eVGA GeForce GT 240 (512MB DDR5, PCI-E 2.0).

Upon installation of the card and driver, I saw a very garbled image. I could read text, but the graphics were very distorted, colors way off, and instead of a mouse pointer, I saw a large square (~50x50 pixels).

I also tried downloading the latest driver, but I experienced the same problem.

I registered my product with eVGA and asked them about the problem yesterday, but still haven't received any help.

Anyone here experienced a similar problem?

Thanks--
September 1, 2010 11:26:14 PM

tried re-seating the card in the slot?
m
l
September 1, 2010 11:41:39 PM

Yes, just tried, but it didn't solve the problem.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
September 1, 2010 11:49:56 PM

Discoloration and artifacts are usually a clear sign a video card is defective, but since your old card is completely dead, it's possible there's a problem within the motherboard, or possibly even the power supply. Is there any way to test the new GT240 (and the old card) in another system? A friend's PC maybe, or one at school/work?
m
l
September 2, 2010 12:24:11 AM

Might be able to test it in my wife's computer if I ask nicely :) 

One more piece of info-- if I remove the video driver then it boots up with low res and looks ok (ie not discolored and no artifacts). I'm really hoping it isn't the motherboard!

Thanks
m
l
September 2, 2010 12:40:45 AM

Tried the old card in my wife's pc and it failed to boot. Didn't try the new one because o don't want to install another video driver on her machine and risk screwing it up...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 2, 2010 12:44:16 AM

It's possible you have a corrupted driver installation, or a bad driver file or package. You could always try downloading and reinstalling them again. You could also try using a different driver version. The most recent driver isn't always the most stable for every model...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 2, 2010 12:58:25 AM

If the artifacts are lines across your screen. That is a sign of a bad cable or connection.
m
l
September 2, 2010 1:20:12 AM

Thanks for the advice so far.

Tried another monitor/cable but it didn't work, so not a connection problem. Also tried another driver to no
avail.

Maybe it is time to build another system anyway...
m
l
!