Sign in with
Your question

How hot should a NVIDIA Geforce 8800 run

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 1, 2010 11:23:51 PM

So I just bought a computer with a NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS, At Idle it is running at 81C(177F). I am just wondering if this is normal?

Thanks,
Brian
a b Î Nvidia
September 1, 2010 11:31:42 PM

Thats hot for idle, what is it under load? The max temp for most GPUs is ~100C. Did you get this computer used? I assume so since the 8800GTS is a bit old. Try blowing the dust out of its heatsink, it should drop your temps a fair amount.
a b Î Nvidia
September 1, 2010 11:40:18 PM

To add to what hunter315 use a program like MSI Afterburner to ensure your fan is working correctly.
Related resources
September 2, 2010 12:01:12 AM

GPU-Z would probably be better a better utility to use to simply monitor heat and fan performance. Not because Afterburner can't be used in that capacity. It's just Afterburner has features novice users should probably avoid so they don't accidentally destroy their card.

81C is definitely hot for an idle temp. Heck, it's actually a bit on the hot side for full-load, depending upon location, ambient temp, and ventilation. Try running tests with the case closed, case wide-open, and case open with an oscillating fan blowing into it, then compare results.
September 2, 2010 2:39:26 AM

Yes I bought it used, I used air duster to blow alot of the dust out of the cooling fins/fan. It now is running around 76C.

The fan is running at 58% of full and is set to automatic. Would it be ok to turn it up to 100% or will it fry the fan eventually?

Thanks,
Brian
a b Î Nvidia
September 2, 2010 2:41:39 AM

Try again on the 8800gts since it is still hot for idle. I own a 8800gtx and so I know that you have to be thorough to get the cooler clean.
September 2, 2010 5:49:07 AM

Thank you guys for all the answers, I ended up taking it out and taking it apart to clean it. Man that thing was filled with dust and hair.

It is now running at about 57C at idle.

Thank you guys for all the help.

Brian
a b Î Nvidia
September 2, 2010 12:35:15 PM

Brian321 said:
Thank you guys for all the answers, I ended up taking it out and taking it apart to clean it. Man that thing was filled with dust and hair.

It is now running at about 57C at idle.

Thank you guys for all the help.

Brian

eeeww, sure np feel free to ask any time if you need help.
!