How hot should a NVIDIA Geforce 8800 run

Brian321

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010
So I just bought a computer with a NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS, At Idle it is running at 81C(177F). I am just wondering if this is normal?

Thanks,
Brian

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
GPU-Z would probably be better a better utility to use to simply monitor heat and fan performance. Not because Afterburner can't be used in that capacity. It's just Afterburner has features novice users should probably avoid so they don't accidentally destroy their card.

81C is definitely hot for an idle temp. Heck, it's actually a bit on the hot side for full-load, depending upon location, ambient temp, and ventilation. Try running tests with the case closed, case wide-open, and case open with an oscillating fan blowing into it, then compare results.

Brian321

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010
Yes I bought it used, I used air duster to blow alot of the dust out of the cooling fins/fan. It now is running around 76C.

The fan is running at 58% of full and is set to automatic. Would it be ok to turn it up to 100% or will it fry the fan eventually?

Thanks,
Brian

Brian321

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010
Thank you guys for all the answers, I ended up taking it out and taking it apart to clean it. Man that thing was filled with dust and hair.

It is now running at about 57C at idle.

Thank you guys for all the help.

Brian

eeeww, sure np feel free to ask any time if you need help.