clutch7

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2011
Work with me here...I recently purchased an Intel Pentium e6500 processor to replace my old Pentium D. After installing the CPU I booted up my computer and nothing showed up on the montitor. at first i thought it was my graphics card but I tested it on my room mates computer and it worked fine. My next step was to try a different motherboard seeing how mine is about 5 years old but again nothing. I then reinstalled my old Pentium D back into the orignal MOBO and used the heatsink that came with the e6500 and it would start up for 8-10 seconds and shut off, I assumed the fan may have been defective and allowed the CPU to overheat? I then tried my Rocketfish heatsink on the e6500 and same thing, would stay on but no display or reaction from the lights on my mouse or keyboard. :fou: I put my old CPU back in, with the original Rocketfish fan and my computer started up just fine. Im already in the process of getting it exchanged (never again Tiger Direct) but my question is what would cause my processor to not even display an image? and why wouldnt the fan work with my old CPU? could it be a defective fan/cpu combo? lol

Specs.
Asus P5N SLI
3gb PNY DDR2667
MSI 9800t
Intel Pentium D 945 3.4ghz
Antec 550w
Zalman Thermal grease

jpmucha

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008

Yeah... using the link above, you see the Pentium Dual Core E6500 down at the bottom of the list. It needs what looks like a much newer BIOS (1403) than most of the other chips. The Pentium D's seem to typically need BIOS version 0202, so its very likely that current BIOS on your board doesn't support the new chip.

Luckily, the current chip works, so you can use it to update your firmware, then swap in the new chip.

Good luck!

Im already in the process of getting it exchanged (never again Tiger Direct)

I'm sure they feel the same way about you. People like you that buy parts without doing research are the reason we all have to pay restocking fees and the reason why they make rma's so difficult. They already knew your cpu wasn't bad when they gave you an rma number.

I managed the RMA department for a computer store and only saw 4 DOA cpu's in 5 years and we probably sold 10-12 a day.

clutch7

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2011
I'm sure they feel the same way about you. People like you that buy parts without doing research are the reason we all have to pay restocking fees and the reason why they make rma's so difficult. They already knew your cpu wasn't bad when they gave you an rma number.

I managed the RMA department for a computer store and only saw 4 DOA cpu's in 5 years and we probably sold 10-12 a day.
Actually, my CPU WAS DOA. After sending it back and them testing it out themselves they agreed it was defective. THIS is the reason why they replaced it. Got my new one, without updating the bios or anything and worked great. So the next time you decide to run your mouth about how your so much better and smarter than other people asking a simple question, well, dont. thank you.