Sign in with
Your question

Quick question about GTX 460

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 2, 2010 3:19:49 AM

Im buying my GTX 460 in december i might buy two, it was hard to decide between Gigabyte, EVGA and MSI but i decided to buy the MSI card, So heres the question, will i be able to run 2 GTX 460 MSI SLI with a 550W Power supply? I have my processor running at 1.1XV and i only have 1 HDD of 500 GB (Idk if that matters) and a V8 Cooler Master. This question might sound dumb but if i buy a MSI Card from newegg and then buy a Gigabyte Card in my country will i be able to run MSI and Gigabyte in SLI?

Thanks for the support ~

More about : quick question gtx 460

a b Î Nvidia
September 2, 2010 3:31:32 AM

Is that MSI Hawk or MSI Cyclone. You're going to want a 650w Corsair PSU at least.
a b Î Nvidia
September 2, 2010 3:42:39 AM

It is totally pointless to plan out video card purchases that far ahead of time. Before December there will be a slew of new Nvidia cards, the HD6000 series from AMD and the current cards will surely change prices.
But to answer your questions 650w of a good brand is the minimum I would recommend and yes you can SLI with cards from different manufacturers.
Related resources
September 2, 2010 4:28:38 AM

jyjjy said:
It is totally pointless to plan out video card purchases that far ahead of time. Before December there will be a slew of new Nvidia cards, the HD6000 series from AMD and the current cards will surely change prices.
But to answer your questions 650w of a good brand is the minimum I would recommend and yes you can SLI with cards from different manufacturers.

I dont like ATI, i heard ATI cards run really good but they have problems like crash and drivers and overheat and even if theres better cards comming out i think all i need is 2 MSIs Cyclone to run GTA IV @ Max settings with a 1080p screen thanks though :)  I guess i'll have to upgrade my powersupply to 850W :/  Damm
a b Î Nvidia
September 2, 2010 4:32:30 AM

You can upgrade it to 650.... 750 if you want leeway, You won't need 850 at all.
a c 330 Î Nvidia
September 2, 2010 4:35:51 AM

Here is a chart of power consumption for various cards, including the GTX460 and the MSI GTX460 Hawk. Of course, you will need to judge the overall power consumption of your system, not just the video cards. It looks like the two cards together will use up about 300-380 watts at maximum (at stock speeds).

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_460_HAWK/26....

You can mix and match video card vendors, so long as you have the same graphics chip.
I agree, there will be a bunch of new video cards released before December, but the GTX460's should be pretty cheap by then.
a b Î Nvidia
September 2, 2010 4:38:50 AM

Your information about ATI cards is incorrect but even if you want to stick with Nvidia cards it is still totally pointless to be planning this far ahead. What is a good deal or choice now is very likely to change by then. Worry about these things when you actually are going to purchase a card.
September 2, 2010 5:15:36 AM

I love my MSI cyclone 460 1gb. I have it overclcoked (very easy with MSI afterburner) to 800/1600/4000 and it has never gone past 60c, even in long gaming sessions. Keep in mind I'm in an air conditioned house tho, as ambient temps make a difference
September 2, 2010 6:19:29 AM

I have got exactly the same problem. I bought a Corsair VX550 a week ago. Does it mean that I have closed the Option of GTX 460 SLI. My Proposed Specs:
Core i5 2500K @ 4GHz
4GB DDR3
Gigabyte OR MSI Motherboard
Zotac Geforce GTX460 1GB

If so I would not go for an SLI Motherboard.

September 2, 2010 7:45:49 AM

jyjjy said:
Your information about ATI cards is incorrect but even if you want to stick with Nvidia cards it is still totally pointless to be planning this far ahead. What is a good deal or choice now is very likely to change by then. Worry about these things when you actually are going to purchase a card.

Well i dont live in US i live in Mexico, i cant buy the graphic card right now even if i have the $$ because newegg dont send stuff to Mexico and theres a comp store in my town and they only have Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB and it cost 300$+16% tax I dont want to pay that much for a graphic card since im buying 2 of em and yea i think im sticking with NVIDIA i dont want to risk and buy ATI because i get stuff from US once a year :/ 

Helltech said:
You can upgrade it to 650.... 750 if you want leeway, You won't need 850 at all.

They only have 550W 600W and 850W Power Supplys in my town well in this shop they only have 600W idk if that will be enough for 2 GTX 460, if my processor is running @ 1.1XV how many watts is that @ load?

17seconds said:
Here is a chart of power consumption for various cards, including the GTX460 and the MSI GTX460 Hawk. Of course, you will need to judge the overall power consumption of your system, not just the video cards. It looks like the two cards together will use up about 300-380 watts at maximum (at stock speeds).

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_460_HAWK/26....

You can mix and match video card vendors, so long as you have the same graphics chip.
I agree, there will be a bunch of new video cards released before December, but the GTX460's should be pretty cheap by then.

Yea if theres any better card out by december i'll pick it but i dont need so much stuff for my comp since im only going to play XBOX 360 games for PC i might start to play Crysis later on, and ye i wish i could find a way to get stuff from newegg to Mexico, im getting this graphic card from a friend that lives in US and shes comming to Mexico i have to find a way to send money from mexico to US without tax and a cheap shipping because UPS is really expensive, i guess that never will happen so i have to wait untill she come from US with my card :( 
a c 330 Î Nvidia
September 2, 2010 4:33:25 PM

Okay more from Guru3d on power supply demands:
http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-460-review/13

Here is Guru3D's power supply recommendation:
GeForce GTX 460
On your average system the card requires you to have a 450 to 500 Watt power supply unit.

GeForce GTX 460 in SLI
A second card requires you to add another ~200 Watts. You need a 650 ~700 Watt power supply unit.
a b Î Nvidia
September 2, 2010 9:09:25 PM

A 650w of a good brand would be more than capable. If you have a friend importing the card for you then you should perhaps consider doing the same for a power supply.
!