Solved Closed

Sata2 or Sata3

Hello.
I ave a qastion i have laptop lenovo t420s and i was woundering if sata3 will be good form me?
Thx.
17 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about sata2 sata3
  1. Best answer
    Yes, you always want to get a SATA 3 (6Gb/s) SSD, even if you only have SATA 2 ports on your laptop or desktop.

SATA 3 drives are newer tech. The firmware on current generation SSDs have better compatibility/reliability than older SATA 2 drives.
  2. Dereck47 said:
    Yes, you always want to get a SATA 3 (6Gb/s) SSD, even if you only have SATA 2 ports on your laptop or desktop.

SATA 3 drives are newer tech. The firmware on current generation SSDs have better compatibility/reliability than older SATA 2 drives.

No. A SATA 3 capable device, if plugged into a SATA 2 port, will drop down to that speed.

SATA 2 + SATA 3 = SATA 2.

SATA 3 + SATA 2 = SATA 2.

SATA 3 + SATA 3 = SATA 3.
  3. it will drop down to the max speed of a sata 2 port. his point, however, was that sata 3 drives are better than sata 2 drives.
  4. neon neophyte said:
    it will drop down to the max speed of a sata 2 port. his point, however, was that sata 3 drives are better than sata 2 drives.

Better at what?

Two equal quality devices, one for SATA 2 and one for SATA 3, when plugged into a SATA 2 plug, will perform the exact same.
  5. Concur with dereck47
    If going with a SSD, recommend a sata III SSD even if using on a sata II port
    For HDDs - Mocs-nicks as SATAIII HDD is more a marketing gimick as the ONLY benifit of using a sata III HDD on a Sata III port verse Plugging it into a sata II port is that very short Burst speed - NO diff in sustanded throughput.

@MatildaPersson - I think each sata port is a master and speed is goverend by the device enogotion with he host. Not like the old PATA (master/slave) where speed is governed by the slowest device. Yes, if a sata III SSD is pluged into a sata II port, it's speed will be limitedby sata ii throughput, BUT a Sata III ssd is still the choice.

Bottom Line: If going with a SSD, go with a sata III SSD, preferably one based on Marvel controller (Ie Crucial M4) ot the Samsung 830/840. NOTE the Samesung 840 pro has the lowest power consumption. IF asking about a HDD - Flip coin, but go with a 7200 RPM drive.
    Side comment, if this laptop only has one Hardrive Bay then MatildaPersson comment is pointless. My laptop has two HDD bays, both with an SSD.
  6. MatildaPersson said:
    No. A SATA 3 capable device, if plugged into a SATA 2 port, will drop down to that speed.

You are correct. I was not trying to say that he was going to get SATA 3 Speeds.
    I was trying to say that compatibility and reliability will be better with a SATA 3 drive.
    TRIM, Garbage Collection, Wear-Leveling algorithms, are all better with current generation SSDs.
  7. thats just it, they arent equal quality. sata 2 ssds are old, they simply arent as good. for example, a vertex 2 compared to a vertex 3 or 4 isnt as good. not matter what port you put it on.

how do you have trouble understanding this? maybe just leave this talk to the big boys
  8. Best answer selected by iliya24.
  9. nah, you clearly got the message ;)
  10. Dereck47 said:

Thank you for explaning i have another question iwas offered to buy
    Corsair Force Series GT 120GB SSD Sata III MLC 2.5'' is it a good one?
    Thx.
  11. iliya24 said:
    iwas offered to buy
    Corsair Force Series GT 120GB SSD Sata III MLC 2.5'' is it a good one?

Yes, that's a good SSD.
  12. Thank you
  13. While that one is acceptable,
    My recommendations are the crucial M4 (NOT M5) or Samsung 830/840 Pro
    Not a lover of SF22xx based SSDs.
  14. samsung 830/840 are nice. vertex 4 is good too tho the brandname has been somewhat tainted by early problems
  15. ^ Not so much due to initial controller problems, more to the company attitude inthat they blamed the user knowledge and/or system while saying they DID NOT have a problem. Can forgive the problem (Note even intel had a couple of problems, one that turned the SSD into a 8 mb SSD - then crucial with there 5000 Hr bug) - But can NOT forgive management attitude!
  16. on the plus side, they didnt abandon their product. the vertex 3 saw many firmware updates up to the point where it worked flawlessly

*edited for typo*
  17. Please be civil folks. No trolling.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Laptops Lenovo Storage