Status
Not open for further replies.

iliya24

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013
Hello.
I ave a qastion i have laptop lenovo t420s and i was woundering if sata3 will be good form me?
Thx.

Solution
Yes, you always want to get a SATA 3 (6Gb/s) SSD, even if you only have SATA 2 ports on your laptop or desktop.

SATA 3 drives are newer tech. The firmware on current generation SSDs have better compatibility/reliability than older SATA 2 drives.
Yes, you always want to get a SATA 3 (6Gb/s) SSD, even if you only have SATA 2 ports on your laptop or desktop.

SATA 3 drives are newer tech. The firmware on current generation SSDs have better compatibility/reliability than older SATA 2 drives.

Solution

MatildaPersson

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013

No. A SATA 3 capable device, if plugged into a SATA 2 port, will drop down to that speed.

SATA 2 + SATA 3 = SATA 2.

SATA 3 + SATA 2 = SATA 2.

SATA 3 + SATA 3 = SATA 3.

MatildaPersson

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013

Better at what?

Two equal quality devices, one for SATA 2 and one for SATA 3, when plugged into a SATA 2 plug, will perform the exact same.

Concur with dereck47
If going with a SSD, recommend a sata III SSD even if using on a sata II port
For HDDs - Mocs-nicks as SATAIII HDD is more a marketing gimick as the ONLY benifit of using a sata III HDD on a Sata III port verse Plugging it into a sata II port is that very short Burst speed - NO diff in sustanded throughput.

@MatildaPersson - I think each sata port is a master and speed is goverend by the device enogotion with he host. Not like the old PATA (master/slave) where speed is governed by the slowest device. Yes, if a sata III SSD is pluged into a sata II port, it's speed will be limitedby sata ii throughput, BUT a Sata III ssd is still the choice.

Bottom Line: If going with a SSD, go with a sata III SSD, preferably one based on Marvel controller (Ie Crucial M4) ot the Samsung 830/840. NOTE the Samesung 840 pro has the lowest power consumption. IF asking about a HDD - Flip coin, but go with a 7200 RPM drive.
Side comment, if this laptop only has one Hardrive Bay then MatildaPersson comment is pointless. My laptop has two HDD bays, both with an SSD.

You are correct. I was not trying to say that he was going to get SATA 3 Speeds.
I was trying to say that compatibility and reliability will be better with a SATA 3 drive.
TRIM, Garbage Collection, Wear-Leveling algorithms, are all better with current generation SSDs.

neon neophyte

Splendid
BANNED
thats just it, they arent equal quality. sata 2 ssds are old, they simply arent as good. for example, a vertex 2 compared to a vertex 3 or 4 isnt as good. not matter what port you put it on.

how do you have trouble understanding this? maybe just leave this talk to the big boys

iliya24

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013

Thank you for explaning i have another question iwas offered to buy
Corsair Force Series GT 120GB SSD Sata III MLC 2.5'' is it a good one?
Thx.

^ Not so much due to initial controller problems, more to the company attitude inthat they blamed the user knowledge and/or system while saying they DID NOT have a problem. Can forgive the problem (Note even intel had a couple of problems, one that turned the SSD into a 8 mb SSD - then crucial with there 5000 Hr bug) - But can NOT forgive management attitude!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS