Create a Start up Disk for XP

jktzweiss

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2001
Can anybody tell me how to create a startup disk for XP, it's no longer under add/remove programs as it is in win98se/win me! Thanks for your help..JW

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
im not sure about this so dont be mad if it doesnt work...
anyways...umm just pop a disk in your a: drive (or whatever drive letter your floppy might be) and go to "My Computer" and right click you floppy drive. then select format. when the format window comes out, select the "make disk bootable" (or something with bootable in it) and format the disk. after the computer finishes writing whatever its writing onto the disk...you should have yourself a bootable disk (remember...i said should)
;)

I don't claim to know anything about everything, I just tell people what I know.
-PSB

Go to DOS prompt and type "format a:/s". This will effectively give you a bootdisk, although all you get is command.com, drvspace.bin, io.sys & Msdos.sys.

Add to that scandisk, autoexec.bat, config.sys

This gives you a half decent bootdisk.

<b><font color=blue>~scribble~</font color=blue></b> :wink:

G

start up for xp home takes 6 floppies,must be downloaded from microsoft.if you have motherboard bios with option to boot first option,put in xp disk,shut down,go into bios,change to boot from cd,shut down,restart,follow prompts,same files are on your xp disc