How can you get the maps from the UT2004 cache?

Schism

How can I get the maps I download from the UT2004 cache? I had a program but
it doesn't seem to work anymore, anyone know of a good program?

Meltdown

Schism enlightened us with:
> How can I get the maps I download from the UT2004 cache? I had a
> program but it doesn't seem to work anymore, anyone know of a good
> program?

You don't need a special program. Open the cache.ini file, or whatever
it's called - it contains the names of the files in the cache, and how
they *should* be called. Rename them and put them in the right
directory.

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.

gimme 2 days and i'll redo the ut2003 one i did last year for ut2004...
it'll be in C# so you will need the dotnet framework..

http://GMS.CyberRock.net, Ut cache Extractor, works like a charm :)

"Paul C." <Paul_C_NB@yahoo.caremovenospam> wrote in

> "Schism" <blah@NO_SP*A-Maforce.net> wrote in
>
>> How can I get the maps I download from the UT2004 cache? I had a
>> program but it doesn't seem to work anymore, anyone know of a good
>> program?
>>

> http://GMS.CyberRock.net, Ut cache Extractor, works like a charm :)

http://gms.cyberrock.net/downloads/download_utcacheextractor.php

Suddenly, MeltDown sprang forth and uttered these pithy words:
> You don't need a special program. Open the cache.ini file, or whatever
> it's called - it contains the names of the files in the cache, and how
> they *should* be called. Rename them and put them in the right
> directory.

Why is it done this way instead of just naming them what they should be?
Any theories?

--
aaronl at consultant dot com
For every expert, there is an equal and

Meltdown

Aaron Lawrence enlightened us with:
> Why is it done this way instead of just naming them what they should
> be? Any theories?

Every Unreal file is a package that can contain various things - sounds,
maps, models, code, etc. When such a package is created, it gets a
unique ID number. The files in your cache have this number as their
name. Packages which had the same original filename (say, sounds.uax)
but belong to different mods can co-exist in your cache without one
overwriting the other.

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.

if anyone is interested I've written a multi cache cleaner app that does all
ut1 / ut2003 and ut2004 cache directories in a single app. I've also added
info into the proggy to display any cd-keys / version numbers and locations
of install for all versions of ut as well..

get it off the clan webby: http://www.old-clan.co.uk/

on the main page click 'multi cache cleaner' on the quick links section..

Syanide wrote:
> if anyone is interested I've written a multi cache cleaner app that
> does all ut1 / ut2003 and ut2004 cache directories in a single app.
> I've also added info into the proggy to display any cd-keys /
> version numbers and locations of install for all versions of ut as
> well..
>
> get it off the clan webby: http://www.old-clan.co.uk/
>
> on the main page click 'multi cache cleaner' on the quick links
> section..
>

> "Schism" <blah@NO_SP*A-Maforce.net> wrote in message
>> How can I get the maps I download from the UT2004 cache? I had a
>> program but it doesn't seem to work anymore, anyone know of a good
>> program?

another one that worx with all versions too: unrealxt2004 it also handles
demos, different user profiles etc.
hth