NIC needed for Dell Inspiron 5100?

I just signed up for Verizon DSL service and am trying to install on a Dell
Inspiron 5100 laptop. The installation CD tells me I need an NIC to complete
installation. There is an ethernet connection on the back of the laptop and
the manual says nothing about needing an NIC to hook up to high-speed internet.
Is there a problem with Verizon, the laptop, or do I need an NIC? If so ,
what NIC should I get?

Thanks,
Fred
14 answers Last reply
More about needed dell inspiron 5100

    On 13 Jan 2005 22:45:06 GMT, predestin8@aol.com (Predestin8) wrote:

    >I just signed up for Verizon DSL service and am trying to install on a Dell
    >Inspiron 5100 laptop. The installation CD tells me I need an NIC to complete
    >installation. There is an ethernet connection on the back of the laptop and
    >the manual says nothing about needing an NIC to hook up to high-speed internet.
    > Is there a problem with Verizon, the laptop, or do I need an NIC? If so ,
    >what NIC should I get?

    Are you able to use the ethernet connection? Anything shows under
    Network Adapters under Device Manager?

    If you have it, it works, then that's all you need, else u need to
    purchase a mini-pci NIC (Network Interface Card) from Dell.

    oh, u maybe able to request a USB broadband modem from Verizon (some
    modems accept both), but ethernet is alot nicer.

    predestin8@aol.com (Predestin8) writes:
    > I just signed up for Verizon DSL service and am trying to install on
    > a Dell Inspiron 5100 laptop. The installation CD tells me I need an
    > NIC to complete installation. There is an ethernet connection on
    > the back of the laptop and the manual says nothing about needing an
    > NIC to hook up to high-speed internet. Is there a problem with
    > Verizon, the laptop, or do I need an NIC? If so , what NIC should I get?

    NIC means network interface card, i.e. ethernet. That is, you have
    it already.

    bobb wrote:
    > oh, u maybe able to request a USB broadband modem from Verizon (some
    > modems accept both), but ethernet is alot nicer.

    Why is ethernet better? It's no faster to connect to a DSL link, even 11b
    will connect as fast.

    Regards,

    James

    On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 00:30:40 GMT, "JHEM"
    <James@ESAD.SPAMMERS.thinkpads.com> wrote:

    >bobb wrote:
    >> oh, u maybe able to request a USB broadband modem from Verizon (some
    >> modems accept both), but ethernet is alot nicer.
    >
    >Why is ethernet better? It's no faster to connect to a DSL link, even 11b
    >will connect as fast.

    Don't care about speed. Just that ethernet can be used for something
    else other than your broadband connection. JHEH, I've seen u before,
    I'm surprised u'd ask that. U got ethernet, you got a LAN. Not that
    you cannot have a USB LAN, but ethernet, well, works for everything.
    If u tell me broadband is all u care about, EVER, then just ignore.

    Predestin8 wrote:
    > I just signed up for Verizon DSL service and am trying to install on
    > a Dell Inspiron 5100 laptop. The installation CD tells me I need an
    > NIC to complete installation. There is an ethernet connection on the
    > back of the laptop and the manual says nothing about needing an NIC
    > to hook up to high-speed internet. Is there a problem with Verizon,
    > the laptop, or do I need an NIC? If so , what NIC should I get?

    NIC = Network Interface Card = Ethernet.

    Regards,

    James

    bobb wrote:

    > Don't care about speed. Just that ethernet can be used for something
    > else other than your broadband connection. JHEH, I've seen u before,
    > I'm surprised u'd ask that. U got ethernet, you got a LAN. Not that
    > you cannot have a USB LAN, but ethernet, well, works for everything.
    > If u tell me broadband is all u care about, EVER, then just ignore.

    My comment was made WRT the OP's question about connecting his laptop to his
    DSL modem and your response that he'd be "better" off connecting via an
    ethernet cable vs. a WiFi connection.

    Overlooking the fact that installing a WiFi NIC in the laptop doesn't
    automatically mean that you lose your ethernet capability, how would the OP
    be better off connecting to the DSL modem via ethernet vs. WiFi?

    Regards,

    James

    On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 03:32:13 GMT, "JHEM"
    <James@ESAD.SPAMMERS.thinkpads.com> wrote:

    >My comment was made WRT the OP's question about connecting his laptop to his
    >DSL modem and your response that he'd be "better" off connecting via an
    >ethernet cable vs. a WiFi connection.
    >
    >Overlooking the fact that installing a WiFi NIC in the laptop doesn't
    >automatically mean that you lose your ethernet capability, how would the OP
    >be better off connecting to the DSL modem via ethernet vs. WiFi?

    I re-read the OP's Q again, there was no mention of WiFi. I think he
    just wanted to know whether the "NIC" as requested in th DSL
    documentation refers to his ethernet jack. Then soon I remembered
    brodband providers sometimes give u a choice of ethernet or USB
    interface to the modem, and if OP's don't already have a NIC, then
    using the USB interface, which is built-in in all modern notebooks,
    would be a cheaper way to go, although I did throw in the "ethernet
    nicer" comment 'cuz as I explained it, it is.

    Now to your WiFi bit. Yes, WiFi better than hardwired ethernet. If OP
    is thinking ahead, then yes, I would purchase a WiFi mini-pci adapter
    rather than an ethernet adapter, and of course need to spend another
    $60 bux or so for the WiFi Access Point.

    Sorry OP, u need to jump in else I feel like being presumptuous
    telling what you need.

    Predestin8 wrote:
    > I just signed up for Verizon DSL service and am trying to install on
    > a Dell Inspiron 5100 laptop. The installation CD tells me I need an
    > NIC to complete installation. There is an ethernet connection on the
    > back of the laptop and the manual says nothing about needing an NIC
    > to hook up to high-speed internet. Is there a problem with Verizon,
    > the laptop, or do I need an NIC? If so , what NIC should I get?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Fred

    You don't need any installation CD to connect to Verizon DSL. You do
    need to enable a connection on the existing NIC using the Internet
    Connection Wizard. Verizon uses Automatic Connection, DHCP. All you
    need is your username@verizon.com, email password, and email server
    addresses. Go to http://www.broadbandreports.com and the Verizon DSL
    forum, and the FAQs.

    Open Device Manager, Network Adapters, and verify that the ethernet
    adapter is running.

    Thanks for the reply...I'm a novice at this and am not really sure what I'm
    doing (if you couldn't tell!). I have an ethernet port on the laptop and I've
    connected to the modem Verizon supplied. The install CD stops the installation
    after determining the computer needs an NIC in order to continue. I tried to
    call Dell for clarification but the wait time was really long on the
    phone...I'll try again. Thanks!

    On 14 Jan 2005 12:49:56 GMT, predestin8@aol.com (Predestin8) wrote:

    >Thanks for the reply...I'm a novice at this and am not really sure what I'm
    >doing (if you couldn't tell!). I have an ethernet port on the laptop and I've
    >connected to the modem Verizon supplied. The install CD stops the installation
    >after determining the computer needs an NIC in order to continue. I tried to
    >call Dell for clarification but the wait time was really long on the
    >phone...I'll try again. Thanks!

    Many laptops have the ethernet port with the board driving it (NIC)
    missing. Your user's manual probably refers this as an option (as in
    if you want it enabled, more $$$). Read the manual while you are on
    hold, this is probably what it is.

    Best of luck.

    Quaoar wrote:

    > You don't need any installation CD to connect to Verizon DSL. You do
    > need to enable a connection on the existing NIC using the Internet
    > Connection Wizard. Verizon uses Automatic Connection, DHCP. All you
    > need is your username@verizon.com, email password, and email server
    > addresses. Go to http://www.broadbandreports.com and the Verizon DSL
    > forum, and the FAQs.
    >
    > Open Device Manager, Network Adapters, and verify that the ethernet
    > adapter is running.

    All good advice Q, except it's username@verizon.net!

    As bobb has also mentioned, the mere fact that there's an RJ45 connector on
    the back of the unit doesn't necessarily mean that he's got a NIC installed.

    Hey, Predestin8, turn the laptop off, turn it over and open the mini-PCI
    panel on the underside of the unit and check that you've actually got an
    ethernet card installed! You might have a WiFi/modem card, in which case the
    RJ45 connector is useless.

    If there's a card there, let us know what it says as to make and model.

    Regards,

    James

    The Ethernet port on your laptop is the NIC you are looking for.

    Papa wrote:
    > The Ethernet port on your laptop is the NIC you are looking for.

    Except the OP has already stated that there's no response when he connects
    to the RJ45 port.

    Hence the suspicion that he doesn't have a mini-PCI ethernet card installed.

    Regards,

    James

Laptops NIC