Sign in with
Your question

Please help me choose a replacement graphics card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 2, 2010 4:36:04 AM

My graphics card died today and I need to buy a replacement.

It was an EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS (G92) 512Mb card.

The specs of my computer are:

Motherboard - Asus P5-E (Intel X38)
CPU - Intel Quad Core Q6600
RAM - 2 GB of Crucial Ballistix
HDD - 500Gb Seagate Barracuda 7200.11
Power - Corsair HX Series 620 Watt
Case - Antec 900 Black Steel
OS - Currently running Vista, but I have Win 7 and can upgrade if necessary (I just haven't had time to backup and format the HDD).

This computer is around 3 years old, but I really don't have the money the upgrade at this time--I wouldn't even be getting a new graphics card if it hadn't died on me.

I do a lot of gaming so I want a good card--I am willing to spend around $200 to $350 for a new card.

The 8800 GTS (G92) was able to run Crysis quite nicely on High Settings (Not max settings, just high), so I would like a card capable of matching that or better.

I haven't kept up on what is good hardware these days, so I would appreciate any recommendations.

Let me know if you need any more info. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Rawket
a c 169 U Graphics card
September 2, 2010 6:37:48 AM

A GTX 460 would be a great upgrade.
m
l
a c 153 U Graphics card
September 2, 2010 6:41:03 AM

I agree with a GTX 460, I'd go with a 1GB version, preferably the MSI Cyclone, MSI Hawk (a little expensive, but its a great card), or the ASUS DirectCU version.

Also you can overclock that CPU a little.
m
l
Related resources
September 2, 2010 6:59:59 AM

Rawkettz said:
My graphics card died today and I need to buy a replacement.

It was an EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS (G92) 512Mb card.

The specs of my computer are:

Motherboard - Asus P5-E (Intel X38)
CPU - Intel Quad Core Q6600
RAM - 2 GB of Crucial Ballistix
HDD - 500Gb Seagate Barracuda 7200.11
Power - Corsair HX Series 620 Watt
Case - Antec 900 Black Steel
OS - Currently running Vista, but I have Win 7 and can upgrade if necessary (I just haven't had time to backup and format the HDD).

This computer is around 3 years old, but I really don't have the money the upgrade at this time--I wouldn't even be getting a new graphics card if it hadn't died on me.

I do a lot of gaming so I want a good card--I am willing to spend around $200 to $350 for a new card.

The 8800 GTS (G92) was able to run Crysis quite nicely on High Settings (Not max settings, just high), so I would like a card capable of matching that or better.

I haven't kept up on what is good hardware these days, so I would appreciate any recommendations.

Let me know if you need any more info. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Rawket

look u are wasting your psu capability,and your motherboard's capability
your psu is good enough for two cards and your mobo has two slots....
and let me tell you one thing more,you were going to waste your money also because if were able to play at high with 8800gts,you don't require that much to get a better or identical card.
after keeping your board and psu in mind i wiil suggest that you go for two hd 5670s in crossfire and they will surely outperform the gtx 460 and similar card which are about $275-300 in cost and these two will cost you a max of $250 and will certainly perform 15-20% better.you will think card makers are not fools.yes,they are not because you have already paid that money for psu and motherboard.........
so use it......and this setup is 50% better performance than 8800 gts and you will be able to play everything on max if did it on high on 8800 gts.if you don't believe me,look at charts of graphics cards in charts section and this is for sure best hardware testing site
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 2, 2010 7:11:58 AM

I'd advise a GTX 460 1GB version. Preferably a Palit Sonic Platinum edition and if not etheir a MSi cyclone or Asus DirectCU
m
l
September 2, 2010 11:16:33 AM

go for gtx 460 1gb... either msi or gigabyte will be a decent one... your cpu might be the bottleneck if you use high end gpu...
m
l
a c 169 U Graphics card
September 2, 2010 2:02:27 PM

Bottleneck depends on the games/resolution that he plays too,with this setup, there won't be any major bottlenecks at resolutions like 1080p and higher
m
l
!