Sign in with
Your question
Solved

6 months old system (please advise what you would change)

Last response: in Systems
October 20, 2010 6:04:11 PM

Heys guys,

All I really do if play SC2 on 1900x1200 on one screen, I use dual monitors, but i play SC2 in full screen mode.

System Specs are below, wondering if you would change anything at this time, and how long you think this computer would last me and what possible upgrades should I do in the future?

And I know its stupid to ask since the game isnt even out, but do you guys think this will handle D3 and will it handle Black Ops at Full settings.

I'm also thinking about OC'ing: I've never done before and will it make that much of a difference that its worth the shortend life span, if someone could send me a quick link?

I was thinking upgrading video card and power supply.

Side note: Im usually getting around 100-80fps on 1900x1200 playing SC2 on ultra setting, but sometimes brings it down to 40fps and feels very choppy. Is this normal?

Thanks again!

System specs:

Monitor: Acer G24
Monitor: Acer S243HL

Motherboard: Asus P6X58D-E
CPU: i7 930 LGA1366
CPU cooler: Cooler Master Hyper N520 heat pipe CPU cooler
SSD: Intel X25-M 80gig
HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB
GPU: Sapphire ATI Radeon HD5850 x2
RAM: Corsair XMS3 Classic 6GB DDR 1600 MHz
PSU: Corsair 750TXw
Case: Antec 1200
Case fan: Thermal Take Smart (120mm with fan speed control) x2

Keyboard: Logitech Gaming G110
Mouse Pad: Steelseries
Mouse: Razer Abyssus
Headset: Tritton AX180
DVD: Phillpes

Best solution

October 20, 2010 6:23:33 PM

That's a pretty nice build, and should hold you for some time. You should be able to achieve a mild to moderate overclock with your setup. And no, if done correctly you wont significantly lowering the life of your parts. I recommend reading the overclocking guide if you haven't already, or do some general reading on how to overclock your system.

You will easily be able to handle those games you mentioned. I don't have SC2 so I can't tell you about that, however 40fps shouldn't feel choppy. Are your temperatures good? You can try enabling v sync as well, that might help.

The overclocking guide is at the top of the overclocking section :p 
November 4, 2010 5:30:36 PM

Best answer selected by Holunwing.
m
l
!