Sign in with
Your question

Cords...cords.. and my video card!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 2, 2010 6:48:52 AM

I have a r5850 twin cooler ii, and I might have made a mistake.

I have an older monitor, a 19inch with just vga cord, and a new asus vh236. What I am trying to do is connect both monitors to the computer, and the asus to the xbox 360 as well.

I don't know if I am missing something, but could someone help me out? If I use the dvi-vga for the 19inch, and the hdmi for the asus - how would I connect the xbox 360 to the monitor?

Sorry, this may seem extensive.

Bottom line, can I buy a few cords to fix my current problem, or do I need to get another video card?

More about : cords cords video card

a c 153 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
September 2, 2010 7:00:53 AM

why dont you use the second DVI for the asus instead of the HDMI on the 5850?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 2, 2010 7:03:51 AM

Yes, sofar as I know you should be able to buy a DVI for the asus-5850 connection(seeing as DVI is the video component of the HDMI connection) and then use the hdmi with the XBOX.

If you need sound to come through the monitor on the computer the screen should have a audio output socket on it some-were were you can fit a standard PC audio plug onto it and then connect it to whatever sound system you have, or just use the speaker inputs from the sound system straight off.
m
l
Related resources
September 2, 2010 7:09:36 AM

Ok, so you've got two options

Option 1 (assuming you have speakers other than in your monitor):
DVI-VGA to 19"
HDMI to DVI to Asus
HDMI cable to Xbox 360

Option 2 (if you do use speakers in the monitor):
DVI-VGA to 19"
HDMI cables from both PC and Xbox 360 into HMDI switch ($17 shipped from Roswell - newegg link) into the Asus monitor

Either way works.. just depends on speaker setup
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 2, 2010 7:17:48 AM

The monitor only supports 1x HDMI, DVI and VGA input at a time any two of which can be used and then you can switch between what your using at the time.

for your setup I envisage:
1x VGA for the older monitor
1x DVI for the Newer Asus
1x HDMI for the Xbox

However if as said you need the sound you ether need separate speakers or a sound cord from your motherboard to the screens sound input.
m
l
a c 153 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
September 2, 2010 7:37:28 AM

decode said:
The monitor only supports 1x HDMI, DVI and VGA input at a time any two of which can be used and then you can switch between what your using at the time.

for your setup I envisage:
1x VGA for the older monitor
1x DVI for the Newer Asus
1x HDMI for the Xbox

However if as said you need the sound you ether need separate speakers or a sound cord from your motherboard to the screens sound input.

This is exactly what I was trying to say with my first post.
m
l
!