Do AMD Motherboards Support nVidia Card's Without SLI?

QuantumPhx

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
I was wanting to build a new gaming pc with the following parts:

Gigabyte NVIDIA N480D5-15I-B GEFORCE GTX480, 1536MB, GDDR5, 700MHz, CORE, DVI, PCIe 2.0
AMD Phenom II X6 Six Core 1090T 3.20GHz 9MB Cache (AM3)
Corsair DDR3 8GB PC-10600/1333 (4x XMS3 2GB) CMX8GX3M4B1333C9 Ram
Corsair AX-750 750W ATX Modular Power Supply
Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 AMD Mainboard - 4x DDR3 / 6x Sata Raid / 1x IDE / Dual Gigabit Lan / AM3

I already know that the motherboard does NOT support nvidia SLI but i was wondering if it would support the single GTX 480 video card?

Solution
QuantumPhx,

Your configuration will work great as it stands,and although the 480 is a great card , you will be limited if you ever choose to upgrade in the future to a two card set-up. PC's are very personal to each person that builds them, but I feel that a comparable AMD card may benefit you in the future depending on your needs of course, and what type of games and what detail level you choose to use with your software of choice. As we all know 2-3 years is a basic life cycle of a gaming PC, so just think about it for longevity.

Sincerely,
Third Darkness

deweycd

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2005

You know if you want to be helpful, don't miss lead people. Not everyone knows that your giving your opinion only rather then stating a solid provable fact. I do own ATI cards and find them incredible, but Nvidia also make incredible cards.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
actually you can soemtimes sli in a amd board if its designed for crossfire... but it will take some work and it will void your warrenty ;)

as for working yea a nvidia card x1 will work just fine with no modification needed

Your statement said people were lying, and that an Nvidia card would severly reduce performance. I'd have to call your original comment a fanboy statement.

Although, my intitial take on your post was you were being sarcastic. It seems I was mistaken.

I've known (and respect) your stance for some time know but I still find the comments they provoke amusing.

Third Darkness

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
QuantumPhx,

Your configuration will work great as it stands,and although the 480 is a great card , you will be limited if you ever choose to upgrade in the future to a two card set-up. PC's are very personal to each person that builds them, but I feel that a comparable AMD card may benefit you in the future depending on your needs of course, and what type of games and what detail level you choose to use with your software of choice. As we all know 2-3 years is a basic life cycle of a gaming PC, so just think about it for longevity.

Sincerely,
Third Darkness

Solution