Sign in with
Your question

System getting restarted again and again and crashes

Last response: in CPUs
January 14, 2011 8:59:43 AM

i have core 2 duo processor and 2 GB ram and 500GB hard disk and mercury motherboard.
its working without any problem for 1 year. after it , it restarts again and agian and finally crashes. i hav changed hard disk twice due to this problem. this problem occurs both in XP and 7. what will be the cause for it. please help me.
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
January 14, 2011 10:35:01 AM

The one item you did not list, and one that is the most important is the power supply.
If it is a winpower,top power,raidmax, maxpower, inwin etc replace it immediatly before it kills everything.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 14, 2011 10:48:35 AM

Does your system restart randomly or just under load? The things I would check first would be temperatures, memory and PSU.

Download, install and run HWMonitor from CPUID:

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

It's a great free utility for monitoring temps and other info on most of your system hardware. Keep it running and monitor your temps while idle and while under load. Post back with both of these results for all components.

To test faulty RAM try using only one stick at a time and try each stick in each and every slot on the motherboard. This will rule out either bad memory or a faulty motherboard. Failing that, try removing all non-essential components and replacing each one by one to locate the faulty component. This includes everything except your motherboard, CPU and RAM.

Download MemTest86+ and burn to bootable CD:

http://www.memtest.org/

Boot from this CD and run MemTest86+ for a few hours. I'd recommend leaving it overnight if possible just to be sure there are no errors. If you pick up errors, try testing one stick at a time to locate the fault stick. Post back with results.

The simplest way to test for a bad PSU is just to swap it for another one. If you have a spare, or you have one you can borrow from a friend etc. then this would rule out the possibility. Hope this helps and good luck!
m
l
!