Using a new ssd and a used hdd?

brian911

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013
Hello,
I am in the process of building a new computer. I want to keep all my files on my 700 gb hdd, but my new computer will need to be a 64 bit OS, so I plan on installing the new OS on the ssd and booting from it, and just use the hdd to hold everything else. I've read many articles about using the two drives but I still want to keep the OS on the HDD incase anything happens.
Main question... If I install an OS on the SSD, and leave everything on the current HDD, will it still work? By work i mean can i change the directory right over to the HDD to the same place I currently use.

Well, no, it won't work the way I understand your description. I'm not quite sure what your last sentence means, but see if these address it
1) You must disconnect the hard drive before installing the OS on the SSD. Otherwise, you will boot from the hard drive and then transfer control to the SSD.
2) Read SSD tweaks. You _must_ put the drive controller in AHCI mode before installing your OS on the SSD. Then, you will find, you can't boot from the HDD. Since it's an in-case, this doesn't need to be fixed; just change controller modes back if you need to fallback.
3) You cannot run software installed on the HDD when you are booted from the SSD. Installation writes entries to the registry, and the SSD installation will have its own. Ditto some "common files" areas. You will have to re-install almost everything in the instance of the OS that is on the SSD.
4) While you can access files on the HDD when booted from the SSD, you will find that access controls are messed up. If a file is owned by the login "brian" now, it will not be owned by the login "brian" on your SSD boot.

So make a system backup of your HDD, store it in a safe place, and go wild. You can boot from the SSD and, should that fail, fall back to booting from the HDD. Let us know if you have more detailed questions about, say, why to remove the HDD while installing to the SSD, file ownership, or things that I haven't touched on.

blackmancer

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2008
you can install the OS onto the SSD and leave everything on the old HDD (most programs will not work tho, need to be reinstalled), just disconnect the HDD before you install the OS on the SSD. Once the OS is installed, reconnect the HDD and copy your old files over. Just double check the Boot Order in the BIOS so the SSD is selected first.

brian911

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013
Okayy... That is the majority of my question answered. One last one. When you say you have to re-install in the instance of the os on the ssd.... That means, First I need to be booted in the OS on the SSD, and then I just have to remove the program on the HDD, and re-install it again on the HDD just basically while on the SSD OS?

Nope. No reason to un-install it. Think of it this way
1) Put the HDD in a desk drawer. Connect the SSD
2) Boot from the installation disc and install the OS to the SSD.
3) Install games, utilities, and anything that you love to the SSD.
4) Connect the HDD and use it as a data disc.

No need to uninstall anything from the HDD. You can't do that while booted to the SSD; you can only change your HDD OS while booted to the HDD. And if you remove stuff from the HDD, you can't use the HDD as a fallback as you described.

If, after building the OS on the SSD, you don't have SSD room to install everything, you could install some of your larger applications on the HDD. They will load more slowly. If the installation process prompts for a directory, just pick one on the HDD. Otherwise, it requires a registry tweak