Sign in with
Your question

P8P67 PRO Boot issues (red light)

Last response: in Motherboards
September 14, 2011 2:01:58 PM

Hi guys!

Finally received all parts for my new gaming rig and assembled this morning, but having a major headache booting up!

Upon pressing the on/off switch, I get a single flash from either the VGA LED or the CPU LED, or most of the time both. No fans spin, I hear no noises from the PC, just the single flash of one or both red lights then nothing. Pressing the switch a second time does nothing; I have to turn the power to the motherboard off and on again before it will even flash again.

The 24 pin connector is connected. I was initially confused by the second power connector, as my motherboard (P8P67 PRO) comes with an 8 pin connector and my PSU has 2 x 4 pin. looking at the diagram for the 8 pin connector revealed simply a row of identical 12v pins and a row of ground pins, so I plugged the two 4 pin connectors in next to each other... if this was wrong please tell me now!

I have tried both with and without the graphics card and get the same issue.

I have cleared the RTC, as well as disconnecting the battery.

My memory is an 8GB (2x4GB) 1600Mhz Kingston HyperX kit, which is actually NOT on the qualified vendor list. However as there are no fans spinning and nothing from the DRAM LED, I am guessing this isn't the issue. In any case, I have tried every configuration of RAM including one stick at a time, as well as holding down the MemOK button as I power up.

I haven't tried re-seating the CPU as yet, the reason being my Freezer 13 cooler came with thermal paste already applied, and I don't have any lying around (I'm guessing even thought its only just been installed, I would have to reapply thermal paste if I take out the CPU).

Any other ideas guys? Have done some reading up online and found a lot of people had similar issues with this board, however nothing suggested has solved my problem.

Please note I cannot get into BIOS to amend settings, the board doesn't even power up let alone POST :) 

Hope someone can help anyway - many thanks :) 
September 14, 2011 2:31:36 PM

Strange things are now happening! Just tried varying the way my 2 x 4 pin connectors were plugged in, and oddly with NEITHER connected to the 8 pin socked the motherboard at least stays on at power up, and the case fans spin.

I am getting no display.

The VGA light flashes once then goes off.

The CPU light remains on
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 717 V Motherboard
September 14, 2011 3:13:25 PM

8-pin CPU 'EPS/ATX12V CPU Cable' <or> '4+4 pin +12 volt Power Cable' the only connections that you want to the CPU. Example don't use '8 pin PCI Express power cable' for the CPU they're polarized diffidently.

Please list all of your components together:
MOBO
GPU (s)
RAM {exact set} ; I prefer a link
PSU
SSD/HDD
HSF ; CPU Fan
CPU
Related resources
September 14, 2011 3:57:18 PM

Hi Jaquith.

Here are the specs, I should note that the mobo is a used but supposedly fully tested/working, bought from ebay (I know, I know :)  ). I suspect this is the issue but want to rule out everything else first. All other parts are brand new, bought from ebuyer.

Asus P8P67 Pro, Revision B3
Intel I5 2500k
PSU - Coolermaster GX-550
RAM - 8GB (2x2GB) KHX Blu 1600mhz (see link)
http://www.ebuyer.com/272176-8gb-1600mhz-ddr3-non-ecc-c...
PowerColor HD 6850 PCS+
Manufacturer Reconditioned WD Caviar black, 1TB, SATA2 3GB/s
Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 hs/f

I have since taken out CPU, reseated etc and verified no bent/missing pins.

I can confirm that I was using the 2x4 pin 24v connectors side by side in the 8 pin socket. For some reason the machine stays on (although no display) when neither of these are plugged in, if one or both is connected I simply get one flash from the warning lights and the machine stays off.

My next step will be to remove the mobo from case and test with another power supply
September 14, 2011 3:59:01 PM

jaquith said:
8-pin CPU 'EPS/ATX12V CPU Cable' <or> '4+4 pin +12 volt Power Cable' the only connections that you want to the CPU. Example don't use '8 pin PCI Express power cable' for the CPU they're polarized diffidently.

Please list all of your components together:
MOBO
GPU (s)
RAM {exact set} ; I prefer a link
PSU
SSD/HDD
HSF ; CPU Fan
CPU

Apologies, the RAM is 2 x 4GB, not 2 x 2GB :)  Thought I'd clarify that to save confusion! :) 

Thanks for your help
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 717 V Motherboard
September 14, 2011 4:16:22 PM

Just checking, I assume you also connected the 6-pin {most HD 6850} to the GPU from the PSU?
September 14, 2011 4:29:21 PM

jaquith said:
Just checking, I assume you also connected the 6-pin {most HD 6850} to the GPU from the PSU?

Hehe, yes I did - should have clarified that as it was inevitably a question which would pop up! :) 
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 717 V Motherboard
September 14, 2011 5:11:41 PM

If you properly installed the Freezer 13 then there should be no metal to MOBO direct contact.

You can try Lazyman's Breadboard -
* Disconnect ALL Front Panel & USB Headers ; keep only the PWR & Ground <best> short w/wire.
* Disconnect ALL peripherals including the Keyboard/Mouse
* (1) Stick of RAM in the second DIMM slot from CPU
* Unscrew both the MOBO and PCIe screws

Pull the MOBO away from anything conductive and supported by a towel ; short PWR & Ground to start.

Ideally, the Sandy Bridge prefers 1.50v RAM ; KHX1600C9D3B1K2/8GX @ 1.65v, at default it's running at 1.50v so it shouldn't pose a problem. The RAM must be properly seated and installed in - CPU | empty | 4GB | empty | 4GB | DIMM slots.
September 14, 2011 7:55:47 PM

shorting power and ground sounds scary! i might just hook up the front panel switch for that purpose though :)  thanks for the advice anyway, will try out of the case tonioght and let you know
September 14, 2011 9:41:56 PM

Terrible, terrible news! :/ 

A friend kindly dropped off his i3 2300 system so I could cross test some components.

I found out that not only did his CPU not work in my motherboard, mine didn't work in his either. Initialy thought it could be a compatibility issue but his motherboard is a P8H61, which should support the i5 2500k.

I had initially tried without the 2 x 4 pin 12v connectors installed, and made sure his CPU was fine on his motherboard again after doing this.

I then tried his CPU in my mobo again but with both 4 pin connectors plugged in, and got the same red light flashes but no power to fans etc.

However, when I then reinstalled his CPU back into his own system, IT WAS NOT WORKING!

Somehow, plugging in the 4+4 Pin CPU 12V connectors was causing the issue, and whether the fault lies with the PSU or the motherboard, I appear to now have £250 worth of fried CPUs.

Not a happy bunny :( 

What do ytou reckon guys, PSU fault or motherboard fault?? Really hoping PSU as will be covered
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 717 V Motherboard
September 14, 2011 11:43:19 PM

IMO - Your PSU is the root cause, BUT apparently it toasted: CPU(s), MOBO, and maybe both the RAM and GPU. If it's going to toast the CPU it 9.9/10 toasted {destroyed} the MOBO.

Everything 'should' be under warranty, and I would look 650W PSU e.g. Corsair CMPSU-650HX or TX650M for single HD 6850 and OC'ing both CPU + GPU.

Yepo, I've seen a bad PSU destroy an entire system. This is an example where I tell folks to use a GOOD PSU with power protection, Japanese capacitors and (PFC) e.g. Corsair Enthusiast/Professional Series.

Sorry!!! :( 
September 15, 2011 2:16:25 AM

I knew the Coolermaster wasn;t top of the range, but seemed like a good mid range option with stable rails (seen results from a couple of online tests) so on my budget seemed like a good option. Like you say, lets hope it is that and it's under warranty - I somehow don;t see the used mobo seller from ebay covering 2 sandbridge cpus!

thanks for your efforts anyway :) 
!