Your question

Issue with CPU cooler

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Cooling
Last response: in CPUs
January 14, 2011 12:29:02 PM

Hi guys,

Basically a few weeks ago I had to rebuild my system after an explosion in my PSU caused everything else to go bang. Replaced motherboard and cpu. However, I've noticed an odd issue with my CPU cooler. I boot up my system and the fan starts spinning like normal, however it stops spinning after about 5 seconds or so. It tries to spin again, but won't. I have to use the restart button on my case about 4 or 5 times before it will start spinning properly, and works fine then, even after turning the system off, leaving it and turning it back on.

I tried disabling CPU Smart Fan control and that solved the problem, however I don't like the fan running constantly at full speed because it is rather noisy.

Specs:

Motherboard: Gigabyte M52LT-D3
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition (3.2GHz)
GFX: Gigabyte GTX 260 Super OC Edition
RAM: 4GB Corsair Memory 4GB DDR3 1333 Mhz CAS 9 Dual Channel Desktop
PSU: Coolermaster GX 650W

I'm very hesitant to let the system run without the fan spinning for too long to see if the fan would eventually kick in incase of an overheat.

Its not a major problem, I'm just concerned that forcing restarts so often is gonna cause me issues down the line.

So, any suggestions? Would an aftermarket cooler fix the issue?

More about : issue cpu cooler

a b à CPUs
January 14, 2011 12:37:35 PM

I think this is normal tbh. I think the Smart Fan control you mentioned spins down the fan when the CPU is cool to keep the system quiet and reduce power consumption. The fact that it spins constantly with Smart Fan disabled supports this. You'd probably find that if you were to put load on the CPU (play a game, run Prime95 etc.) that the fan would kick in properly. Remove your side panel though and do the above to verify this just to make sure.
January 15, 2011 10:17:14 AM

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Just turned my PC on and the fan has decided to run normally this morning for the first time in a couple of weeks. :/  But I will certainly do as you said the next time it doesn't spin to see if it is normal. Thanks

One final question, is the stock AMD 955 cooler known to be loud when it is spinning at top speeds? My old Intel Q6600 was much quieter.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
January 15, 2011 10:28:43 AM

Just for the hell of it, unplug the fan and use some compressed air to clean the fan connector and the fan itself. Also wiggle the middle of the fan a little and see if it is too tight, or too loose. It is possible the fan bearing is almost shot, but when you disable the fan control it will run fine because the voltage is higher and forcing the motor to spin. I've had some CPU fans that were tight, and didn't spin unless they were set to full. Never had that issue with my Intel stuff though, only one x2 system and one x3 system did that to me. :pt1cable: 
a c 117 à CPUs
January 15, 2011 7:15:19 PM

Squadinho said:
Hi, thanks for the reply.

Just turned my PC on and the fan has decided to run normally this morning for the first time in a couple of weeks. :/  But I will certainly do as you said the next time it doesn't spin to see if it is normal. Thanks

One final question, is the stock AMD 955 cooler known to be loud when it is spinning at top speeds? My old Intel Q6600 was much quieter.

Not for me, but for some folks (possibly you with SmartFan disabled) might have issues.

Do you have C&Q enabled with SmartFan? How about your 'processor power management' in your power options? Have you considered SpeedFan as an option?

SpeedFan works well for me with C&Q (though the few times I have had issues have been with nVidia chipsets).

!