Samsung SSD Magician help!

computernewb

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
hi. i just got a samsung 840 pro 256 gb SSD. i put it in my laptop and did a clean installation of win7 home64 bit. I installed the magician through the CD proided. But when i try to download the firmware through the magician, it just downloads 2 ENC files.. what is this and how can i update my firmware?

thanks!

ELMO_2006

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
To check the f/w version perform the following:

Run the Samsung SSD Magician > System Information > Drive Summary > Samsung SSD Pro Series

From here you will see all the information on the right hand side about the drive including the f/w. DXM04B0Q should be the latest.

As to the question
is installing the firmware absolutely necessary?
You should as the first batch of these drives were released with wonky f/w which caused some issues which were then later rectified with new f/w.

Most Firmware updates do one of two things:
1) Fix bugs - Yes
2) improve performance. Depends if minor performance boost, probably not,as you would not detect a real performance increase in day-to-day usage. If a good performance boost, then user call.
NOTE: some times manuf do NOT state all the changes which would indicate probably a good Idea.

Absolutely Yes, if there is a bug that will cause you a problem, or if you are experinencing problems. ie Crucial M4's had a bug that would "kill your SD when it hit 5000 Hrs. Intel had a bug that would cause the SSD to suddenly drop to 8 mb size - ouch.

For deteriming Fireware installed, yes magician will work fine. Personnaly I like to run AS SSD as it will indiate:
.. Make model
.. Fireware installed
.. Driver used (ie you DO NOT want to see "ide = BAD"
.. Partion alignment - want to see "OK"
DO NOT need to run the benchmark, just open the program and look at the upper left.