Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

My New Setup - Think I did OK?

Last response: in Systems
Share
October 21, 2010 12:09:48 AM

Hey Guys,
Finally making the leap into the realm of DX11, Win7, and a quad core i5. Finally retireing the trusty Asus A8n-SLI Deluxe/ Opty185 system. Served me well. ($3500 Alienware system in 2004 built to take on BF2). So, now looking to bring BFBC2 into it's own machine w/the above mentioned benefits. Hopefully I came up with a worthy option for doing just that. So, w/o any further beating around the bush....wha d'ya think about this?:

1 Intel Core i5-760 Lynnfield 2.8GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Desktop
CPU Replacement Only Return Policy $208.99

1 ZOTAC ZT-40402-10P GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card $219.99

1 GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD3 LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard $129.99

1 Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM $99.99

1 COOLER MASTER Storm Sniper SGC-6000-KXN1-GP Black Steel, ABS Plastic, Mesh bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case $139.99

1 Antec EarthWatts EA750 750W Continuous Power ATX12V version 2.3 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC ... $84.99

1 COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7 compatible RR-B10-212P-G1 120mm "heatpipe direct contact" Long ... $29.99

1 G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM $94.99

2 LG 22X DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model GH22NS40 - OEM
$33.98 ($16.99 ea)

1 Western Digital Caviar Black WD6402AAEX 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive $69.99


so, $1112.89 plus ~$30 shipping. I was aiming for ~$1k in hardware & the $100 for the OS.

So, now does anyone want to lend some OC'ing settings/suggestions for this 760 CPU?

More about : setup

October 21, 2010 2:35:35 AM

bavman said:
Have you check out this hdd:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Ones of the best hdds on the market plus you get 1tb for the same you would pay.



Ok.I see everyone here tends to move towards the spinpoint hdds. But, you're saying a sata2 spinpoint will outperform the sata3 WD black? This is probably my least knowledgeable area, but I just assumed the newer 6gb/s drives w/ 64m cache vs. 32 would perform better.

Feel free to correct me here. Love to know the details.
Related resources
October 21, 2010 3:41:55 AM

Well the new sata-3 don't use the full 6GB/S.....

Why do you need two DVD drives????

IMHO go with radeon after the 6000 series comes out the 22nd (two DAYS)...


(PS, why'd you spend 3500 on alienware? it has the equivalent of a 1500 system....)
October 21, 2010 4:50:30 AM

The spinpoint will read about 120-130 mb/s max. sata 2 maxes ut at 300mb/s and sata 3 is 600mbs. So sata2/3 doesnt really matter on hdd's...not until they get faster anyways, its mostly for faster ssd (300mb/s+) The extra cache seems to be just for advertising. You wont see a difference between 32/64mb
October 21, 2010 5:14:40 PM

Atotalnoob said:
Well the new sata-3 don't use the full 6GB/S.....

Why do you need two DVD drives????

IMHO go with radeon after the 6000 series comes out the 22nd (two DAYS)...


(PS, why'd you spend 3500 on alienware? it has the equivalent of a 1500 system....)



I just prefer having multiple drives so I don't have to swap out disks when copying and I can leave my 2 most used game disks in the system when I'm not using them to burn anyting. I'm lazy and it's worth the $16 for me. ;) 

I'll look into the 6000 series, we'll see.

My Alienware systme was $3500 in late 2003.(something like that) Obviously it wouldn't run that much these days. At that time, this was when A64 FX-58 and first dual cores were barely coming out..so it was pretty high end for that time: A8N-SLI Deluxe was most popular SLI board, GeForce 6800 ultra GPUs(highest available at the time), 2x 74GB Raptors, 2G OCZ Platinum DDR, etc. I only mentioned it because it turned out to be a good buy. 7+ years w/ only 2 vid card upgrades: 7950 then the current HD3850 512MB card.
October 21, 2010 5:22:30 PM

bavman said:
The spinpoint will read about 120-130 mb/s max. sata 2 maxes ut at 300mb/s and sata 3 is 600mbs. So sata2/3 doesnt really matter on hdd's...not until they get faster anyways, its mostly for faster ssd (300mb/s+) The extra cache seems to be just for advertising. You wont see a difference between 32/64mb



Thanks for the info. That clears the waters on that subject for me.
I stand corrected.
October 21, 2010 6:56:54 PM

jmwpom3 said:
I just prefer having multiple drives so I don't have to swap out disks when copying and I can leave my 2 most used game disks in the system when I'm not using them to burn anyting. I'm lazy and it's worth the $16 for me. ;) 
.

XD don't blame you.... I need to do the same with my system...
!