How do I make a ram drive?

justme05

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2005
i am referring to a Tom's article about testing gigabit LAN speed, where the author wrote:

{{To do this, we’re going to make a 1 GB RAM drive on both the client and server PCs, and then transfer a 1 GB file between these RAM drives over the network. Since even the slowest DDR2 RAM should be able to handle over 3,000 MB/s of data, the only limiting factor should be how fast our network can run:}}

Can someone tell me how to do this?

Kewlx25

Distinguished
if you just want to test your network card, iperf.

If you want to test SMB, then ram-drive. You may want a 2GB ram drive though because 1gig is ~110MB/sec and you may want ~15sec average to give the stream time to settle.

Also, even if you make a "ram drive" if you over-flow your memory, it will get pushed to swap and be limited by your HD. Make sure you test machine has enough ram

My lowly integrated 1gb NIC does 1.5gbit/sec on full-duplex with ~8% kernel time and 946mbit/sec sending or receiving ~4% kernel. <-- iPerf test

justme05

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2005
i want to test network speed by transferring a file and exclusing the HDD from the equation. I'm trying to find out why why dlink DGS-100 GB switch and GB lan in both pc's only gives me 2.5MB/sec

Catsrules

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
Try this
http://memory.dataram.com/products-and-services/software/ramdisk/download-ramdisk.
Just tried out my network speed 120-150meg a second, dang those Hard drives are slow, I only get 50-60megs on a good day.