User screen resolution resets by itself

G

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

Okay, I'm running WinXP SP2 with all the latest patches recommended by
Windows Update.

I have logged onto this machine as Administrator. I set the screen
resolution to 1024x768. It should stay there unless the user changes it,
correct?

Well, the user logs on and at first, the desktop looks like it's going
to be 1024x768... but after the desktop icons appear and a couple of the
Systray icons, the screen goes blank and resets to 1280x1024. The user
can set the resolution to 1024x768... and the next time they log in, it
will reset itself to 1280x1024!

This ONLY happens if the user is a member of the "USERS" group; if I
make them a member of the "ADMINISTRATORS" group, the resolution will
stay put.

I would almost think it was a group policy issue, but if it is, why does
it affect no other members of the group? And how did I set such a policy?

I tried re-creating the user's profile but the problem persisted. I
would suspect a program loading in his Startup folder, but there is
nothing in his startup folder (and that would not explain why it happens
when he's a "USER" but not when he's an "ADMINISTRATOR").

Anti-virus software is in place & up to date. I did a spyware scan and
found nothing of significance.

I am truly stumped. I tried looking through the Microsoft Knowledgebase
but could not find anything relevant.

I'm hoping someone here will have a suggestion (or two).

TIA,

Doug Starkey
Network Administrator
Pecan Deluxe Candy Company

G

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

Doug Starkey wrote:
> Okay, I'm running WinXP SP2 with all the latest patches recommended by
> Windows Update.
>
> I have logged onto this machine as Administrator. I set the screen
> resolution to 1024x768. It should stay there unless the user changes
> it, correct?
>
> Well, the user logs on and at first, the desktop looks like it's going
> to be 1024x768... but after the desktop icons appear and a couple of
> the Systray icons, the screen goes blank and resets to 1280x1024. The
> user can set the resolution to 1024x768... and the next time they log
> in, it will reset itself to 1280x1024!
>
> This ONLY happens if the user is a member of the "USERS" group; if I
> make them a member of the "ADMINISTRATORS" group, the resolution will
> stay put.
>
> I would almost think it was a group policy issue, but if it is, why
> does it affect no other members of the group? And how did I set such
> a policy?
>
> I tried re-creating the user's profile but the problem persisted. I
> would suspect a program loading in his Startup folder, but there is
> nothing in his startup folder (and that would not explain why it
> happens when he's a "USER" but not when he's an "ADMINISTRATOR").
>
> Anti-virus software is in place & up to date. I did a spyware scan and
> found nothing of significance.
>
> I am truly stumped. I tried looking through the Microsoft
> Knowledgebase but could not find anything relevant.
>
> I'm hoping someone here will have a suggestion (or two).
>
> TIA,
>
> Doug Starkey
> Network Administrator
> Pecan Deluxe Candy Company

Doug

MVP Doug Knox has a free utility that solves this problem.

Per User Display Settings:
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_userdisplay.htm

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP
Windows Shell/User

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

G

Not to be ungrateful but that's really not the resolution I was looking
for. The problem shouldn't exist, right? XP should set the resolution
and leave it alone. It should not "change" with every user (unless those
users are "administrator-level".

While this utility might mask the problem, the underlying problem is
still lurking.

The real issue is why, when I set the resolution as "Administrator",
would a user (with only "user-level" privileges) get the resolution
switched to a different one at log-in? And even more confusing, why if I
place that same user into the "Administrators" group, does the
resolution-switching stop?

Doug Starkey
Network Administrator
Pecan Deluxe Candy Company

In article <Osmf1iuuFHA.2504@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>,
"Ronnie Vernon MVP" <ronv@mvps.org> wrote:

> Doug Starkey wrote:
> > Okay, I'm running WinXP SP2 with all the latest patches recommended by
> > Windows Update.
> >
> > I have logged onto this machine as Administrator. I set the screen
> > resolution to 1024x768. It should stay there unless the user changes
> > it, correct?
> >
> > Well, the user logs on and at first, the desktop looks like it's going
> > to be 1024x768... but after the desktop icons appear and a couple of
> > the Systray icons, the screen goes blank and resets to 1280x1024. The
> > user can set the resolution to 1024x768... and the next time they log
> > in, it will reset itself to 1280x1024!
> >
> > This ONLY happens if the user is a member of the "USERS" group; if I
> > make them a member of the "ADMINISTRATORS" group, the resolution will
> > stay put.
> >
> > I would almost think it was a group policy issue, but if it is, why
> > does it affect no other members of the group? And how did I set such
> > a policy?
> >
> > I tried re-creating the user's profile but the problem persisted. I
> > would suspect a program loading in his Startup folder, but there is
> > nothing in his startup folder (and that would not explain why it
> > happens when he's a "USER" but not when he's an "ADMINISTRATOR").
> >
> > Anti-virus software is in place & up to date. I did a spyware scan and
> > found nothing of significance.
> >
> > I am truly stumped. I tried looking through the Microsoft
> > Knowledgebase but could not find anything relevant.
> >
> > I'm hoping someone here will have a suggestion (or two).
> >
> > TIA,
> >
> > Doug Starkey
> > Network Administrator
> > Pecan Deluxe Candy Company
>
> Doug
>
> MVP Doug Knox has a free utility that solves this problem.
>
> Per User Display Settings:
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp userdisplay.htm

sexton

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
Afternoon Doug, did you ever resolve this issue. I have the same issue with a few DELL Inspiron laptops (running Win XP all up-to-date), admin logs on and changes it, it stays, but if a user logs on sometimes it stays others it doesn't

I've a few annoyed users and I'd love to hear if you fixed it.

I did resolve it on one laptop by reinstalling everything (I wondered if maybe I loaded something from the install drivers disk which I shouldn't have).

I'm not doing that with the other 5 laptops!!

If you fixed it please let me know at mark.sexton@suzuki.co.uk

Many thanks
Mark

andyinc

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
I just solved this one....at least on my Compaq DE530.

Either edit the registry or run msconfig to remove SETREFRESH.EXE from starting with Windows.

SETREFRESH was located in one of the Compaq software folders on my machine, so I don't know if it's Compaq specific or if other vendors use it as well. At any rate, my computer no longer resets the resolution after reboot.

Andy

That sounds more like a utility to set the refresh rate, not the resolution. It may not be Compaq specific, but it might have to do with your video driver or software. I know I don't have it running on my comp.

daz

Distinguished
May 24, 2004
I have the same issue on a DELL Latitude D600.

any help to the above would be greatly appreciated!

for the moment the user is satisfied to adjust the settings at each logon, but its frustrating to say the least.

sca11ion

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
Same issue here, not resolved.

Happened before as well, and problem was due to mandatory profiles - login as the administrator and change the user (that wants to change the screen resolution) profile from user.man to user.dat. Then allow the user to login and modify the resolution. Afterwards, login as admin again and rename profile back to user.man. Worth a try, but as I said, has not worked for most recent appearance of this problem.

Problem with LCD monitors is that they have a "native" resolution. Plug and play monitors will of course tell Windows what that native resolution is and Windows will always want to set it to that resolution. This is especially true of OEM computers.

You could try downloading an updated video driver (if you can, download a reference driver... not one from you computer manufacturer). I haven't personally seen this issue on my LCD displays, so it's got me a bit stumped.

Zonder

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Try setting the screen resolution to what you want it to be, selecting the desktop background by left clicking on it, and then pressing the <Fn> and <F7> keys simultaneously. I know it sounds weird and overly simple, but it worked for my Dell Latitude X200. According to the Dell website, this key combination "Alters the font size at boot." I'm not certain what that means or why anyone would want a hotkey to do it. I suspect this "feature" has caused more grief than it's worth for those who press the key combination accidentally. Good luck.

Repoman21

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2007
I had a similar WinXP problem that was driving me nuts. The problem came about when I closed the lid of my laptop while playing an older game. After exitting the game, Windows was stuck at 800x600 and 8bit color. When I went into settings and tried to put my settings back, Windows told me that a restart was necessary. So I restarted, and ran into the same bug other people have described- right after logon everything was fine at 1024x768, but after a few seconds it would reset down to 800x600. I changed the settings, restarted again, same thing happened.

What solved it was going to "Settings" and clicking on the "Advanced" button. There is a menu to tell Windows what to do after I change my display settings; I changed this menu from "Restart the computer..." to "Ask me before...". Then I clicked OK to go back to the display panel, and OK again to close the window and save the change. After making that change and saving it, then I re-opened display settings, and changed my resolution to 1024x768. I clicked OK, Windows asked if I wanted to make the change, I said yes, and the problem was solved.

Well, my problem was solved. Whatever bug lurks deep inside Windows, promising to change settings upon restart and then changing back immediately after logon, is still out there.

NaomiHawkins

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
i think this
24213481828.jpg
is a windows bug not related to drivers

igregory

Distinguished
May 9, 2009
If it's using Intel graphics drivers, try deleting the 'Persistence' value from the Run key in the registry... this causes igfxpers.exe to run on logon (some sort of Intel utility). Fixed the problem for me.

kman0375

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
look at this link on the microsoft site:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/281565

It does explain that the resolution is NOT a user spacific setting, and therefor your issue is more than likely a driver issue. It also could be an issue not with your video card driver, but your monitor driver. If windows thinks your monitor only supports a certian resolution, but yet the video card allows a higher resolution, The video card may let you change it to that higher resolution, untill after a reboot.

The windows login screen is a lower resolution than you desktop resolution. Windows doesn't even refference the monitor's supported resolution untill after it gets logged in. If you resolution is higher than what it thinks the monitor supports, then it will automatically change it to what your monitor supports.

Hope this helps.

nth

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2009
I've stumbled upon the same problem on my Latitude with an e173fp as secondary display - at each logon the resolution kept changing from 1280x1024 to 1024x768. My fix: I noticed that the secondary display was detected as Generic non-PnP monitor. I checked the dell support site, found no drivers for this model for vista/2008, so I manually installed the Generic PnP ones. Now the resolution doesn't reset itself anymore after login.

G

:na:

nth is correct. I noticed that my screen resolution would reset everytime I restarted or switched users AFTER I had used my DELL laptop to play DVD's on my LCD tv, using the LCD tv as a secondary monitor. However, even though my laptop wasn't plugged into a secondary monitor, windows display settings still detected a secondary display, referring to my laptop display twice as display 1 and display 2, each with different settings. All I had to do was

1. log in to each admin user profile,
2. open up the Display Settings,
3. select display 1 from the settings and set it to my desired screen resolution,
4. and then select display 2 and set the same settings.
5. Click Apply

Repeat for each profile and restart. The settings should now be consistent across all all profiles and displays. I think next time you plug in a secondary display, be sure to set the screen resolution back after removing .

You may or may not have used your laptop with a secondary display, but I do know that for me, this solution worked like a charm and I no longer have to keep seeing a fuzzy, blown up resolution everytime my computer logs off and its a great relief.

:na:

sadf

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
My Setup;

Dell Inspiron 640m Laptop. LG Flatron W2353V LCD Monitor. Logitech MX3200 Cordless Mouse and Keyboard (Not Bluetooth). Win XP Media Center Edition Ver.2002 SP3.

What I Want:

To use my setup as a desktop (i.e. Laptop lid closed) and have the monitor run on full resolution. And both as extended destop when laptop lid is open. But all screens at full resolution (1280x768 and 1920x1080)

My Problem:
It used to wake up from sleep and everything worked as 'what i want'. Then one day it stopped. the monitor used to always get reset to 800x600, regardless of the laptop lid orientation. I reset it to what I wanted in the display properties and even under the advanced Intel graphics properties tab. But every time I wake up the system from sleep (by jiggling the mouse) the monitor held the correct resolution for a sec and then reset to 800x600.

The Fix.
I pressed CTRL ALT F12. Logitech launched a Secure Encryption Wizard and after following the instruction I changed the Graphic properties in the window that appeared (The blue advanced Intel one). The changes stuck even after sleep.

Don't know how or why it worked but I'm less aggravated now. So I wanted to share.

fdsfsdfs

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
Fixed!

I have the simplest igfxtray thing, its an intel driver. the issue was the resoultion in that utility didn't match what the xp display control panel applet was set to. I set the igfxtray to the same resolution, refresh rate, and color depth to what was in the control panel applet and it fixed my problem!

bixman

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2010
I have a Dell desktop with a Westinghouse 22-3W LCD, plug n play monitor. Running WinXP. When I initially set up the monitor last fall, it worked perfectly. Had beautiful resolution, 1920 x 1080. Computer and monitor are both on a UPS for back up and power cleaning.
This past April, we lost power. I had plenty of time to do a NORMAL shut down. The power was off about 8 hours. When I restarted everything, my resolutions was 1280 x 1024! I couldn't get back to my original settings nor could I even get them listed. I tried everything including new Dell drivers, updates, etc. I finally did a "REPAIR" with my Windows OEM CD that came with the computer. I really don't know what I did but it started working. This past weekend, power went out again. I shut it down and restarted after power was restored. Once again, my 1920 x 1050 resolution vanished and went back to 1280 x 1024. I have done everything again but can't get my original 1920 x-1080. I am frigging ready to throw this thing in the lake!!!!!!!!

colin_bc

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011
I realize this is an old thread, but as I have spent hours on this issue, I thought I'd post the problem and solution as I found it.

I had a coworker brought me his home PC to repair it. After replacing the PSU and getting the PC operational, I noticed every time Windows restarted, the resolution would reset to 600*800 within 10 seconds of windows loading. I could change the resolution to any setting I wanted and it would hold until I reboot. Reboot and after windows loads, the screen would flash and the resolution would reset to the 600x800. I tried all the fixes I could find on forums and nothing worked.

I tried creating a new user account on the PC with the same admin priviledges and never experienced the problem. It was isolated to the main/only user account the PC owner had setup. I asked him and his son if this has always been an issue and they said it had been resetting like that since they got the PC.

After trying all the driver updates and various windows config settings, I still had no solution, but at least a starting point with the problem being isolated to one user account. I then began the painstaking task of disabling everything in the startup tab of MSCONFIG (Windows Start Bar -> type MSCONFIG into search bar and hit enter). I made a log of all items in the start tab and began to turn items on one bye one, rebooting after every individual change.

It took a while to narrow down, but in my case the entry that was causing the resolution reset after every reboot was called "BELKINWCUI" (root file = Belkinwcui.exe). I disabled this startup value and the problem stopped. I re-enabled all startup values EXCEPT for this one BELKINWCUI and it's finally keeping my resolution.

This is one of the forums I tried finding solutions from, so I thought my solution should be posted for anyone else that may be having this issue.

Colin

FaceAche

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012
Again, an old thread, but i too spent hours on this issue, but finally got it sorted.

Like colin_bc, i ran the msconfig utility, from the Start Menu--->Run, and noticed that in the General Tab, Selective Startup was ticked. I ticked Normal Startup, restarted the computer when it asked me, and it booted to the correct resolution!

I'll do some more testing on it, but at this stage, it appears to be a case of 'problem solved', yay!

skeleton9199

Honorable
Dec 29, 2013
So, for me is like this:
Ati radeon 3650 agp, sempron soket A 2600+, win xp SP3, monitor benq v2200eco. Normal tv connected with s-video cable.
Allmost every start/restart resolution reset from 1280x720 to 640X480.
One time i tried 1920x1080, it reset to 1024x768. ?!?!?!?@#@!?!?
After many tries i SOLVED MY reseting problem:
In ati catalist:
1. Display options - Display management options - List all possible modes (including panning modes)
2. Monitor Properties 0 - HDTV Support - HDTV Modes Supported by this display - SELECT ALL!!! (i have 4 resolutions)

Succes!!! Please reply if working for somebody.