Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Hyper 212+ +HAF922+AM3 socket question Need help!

Last response: in Systems
October 21, 2010 2:33:21 AM

hey all im looking to get a hyper 212+ HSF and install it into my haf922 case on my asus mfa89gt 890gx mobo which currently has a phenom ii x4 965be in it with the stock hsf....

my question is does anyone with a haf 922 have any experience changing the HSF? the back panel looks like its semi accessible to the backplate but not fully (the bottom 2 screws i can see but not fully exposed) would i be able to change the HSF w/o taking my mobo outa the case?

I have never done this before so would like to avoid taking my mobo out if i dont have to.....

any tips are welcomed....and if a diff HSF is better let me know tho ive heard this is the best for the price...
October 21, 2010 12:13:36 PM

Hello, I did a search and found this:

"One thing about the hole on the mobo tray so you dont have to remove the mobo to install HSF, that isnt true. You really do unless your mobo happens to hit perfectly over the hole and has a small plate."

Then other people said that their motherboard fitted perfectly over the hole. So I guess your out of luck...

Why are you scared of taking the motherboard out? Did you build the PC? If so its just like building it but in reverse :p .

That is a very good cooler, its a nice choice.

[EDIT]
Source:
http://www.techpowerup.com/92771/Cooler-Master-Introduc...
m
l
October 21, 2010 12:31:29 PM

na im a computer building newb....i had the guys at tiger direct build it....

i wanted to slowly learn how to build it myself (i just replaced the PSU myself)

also it looks like i MAY have to move the RAM to diff slots....is that an issue? currently its in slots 1/3 but i heard the hyper 212 fan might put it in the way so would moving the ram to 2/3 or 2/4 make a diff? and if so do i gotta do nething in the bios after moving it (like i said im a newb)
m
l
Related resources
October 21, 2010 12:39:26 PM

For your motherboard, the colored slots represent channels.

So lets say slots 1 and 3 are colored white, and slots 2 and 4 are colored blue. If you need to move your RAM from 1 and 3, move both to 2 and 4.

As for the motherboard tray, if you can't access 2 of the screws then yes you will probably have to remove your motherboard.

This guide will help you put together a build

m
l
October 21, 2010 12:43:45 PM

yah currently my slots are

1 and 3 white
2 and 4 are blue (or vice versa)

ive heard that i should have 1 stick in each colour but ive also heard i should have sticks in the SAME color....any tips?

also my mobo only reads 1333mhz for ram my ram is 1600mhz will i have to readjust the voltages to get it to 1600?
m
l
October 21, 2010 12:47:24 PM

On AM3 boards it used to be slots 1&2, but they would also be the same color. The last 2 builds Ive done with 8xx series motherboards now have the colors matching 1/3 and 2/4. I thought it was an error, until I loaded up CPU-Z and saw that my RAM was in single channel. Changed my slots to match the color and poof, dual channel.

So I would stick with colors if I were you.
m
l
October 21, 2010 12:48:16 PM

As said there are special slots to put memory in, though don't worry too much about it. For my Zalman 10X quiet I had to move the RAM to 3 and 4. This makes the memory run in single channel mode instead of dual, this theoretically lowers performance but it is basically non existent.

Ah pulling a motherboard could be daunting for your first time. Maybe you have a friend who could help you or you could just read up on it, have to start sometime.

I did the same with starting slow. Chucked in extra RAM for my HP then a new PSU, then I built a whole new system and stole the PSU.

Oh and also you don't have to do anything with the BIOS but you could just set them at their rated voltage though Auto generally gets it right.
m
l
October 21, 2010 12:48:20 PM

ok thanks!!!

also is the hyper 212 a good cooler (well sorry i know it is.....but any other suggestions?)
m
l
October 21, 2010 12:51:02 PM

I think the Hyper 212+ will be the best for you, it gives plenty of OCing room. What are you getting it for? Learning to OC?

Where are you buying from? Newegg has it for $38 but Amazon has it for $30.
m
l
October 21, 2010 1:27:44 PM

prob tigerdirect.ca or canadacomputers

both have local shops near me and its 29.99@ tiger
m
l
October 21, 2010 1:29:58 PM

ohh should i use the thermal compound it comes with or get a diff one?
m
l
October 21, 2010 2:51:40 PM

Usually the stock stuff is Arctic Silver 5 equivalent. They have increased their TIM quality over the last couple years.
m
l
October 21, 2010 2:55:30 PM

thanks!

btw can you recommend any other coolers for my rig?

currently

AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE (stock settings will OC after new cooler)
Asus m4a89gt 890gx mobo
Patrior G-series sector-5 2x2gb 1600mhz ram
XFX Black Edition 850w PSU
Nvidia 9800gtx+ 1gb (getting a new 6k series when they launch)
HAF 922 case

i will be ocing some which is obvs why i want a new HSF.....so any suggestions or should i go with the Hyper 212+ tbh it seems to be the one everyone is talking about constantly
m
l
October 21, 2010 2:58:47 PM

The Hyper 212+ is the best value. It's exactly what you need to begin playing with OC.
m
l
October 21, 2010 3:01:42 PM

thanks!!!!!!!

how hard is it to remove a mobo install the HSF and put the mobo back in (i have never done it before)

which is why i was hoping i could do it via the Mobo opening on the haf922 but i duno if i can.....is it not that difficult to just remove the mobo?
m
l
October 21, 2010 5:27:38 PM

Its the most difficult part imo
m
l
October 21, 2010 5:38:55 PM

haha awesome!

im sure ill figure it out

also is it worth it to pick up an extra fan or 2? i was thinking about getting 1 or 2 of the fans (they are like 9.99 or 12.99 each i forget) so i can throw 1 on the side of the case for an extra intake and 1 on the CPU for push/pull?

if i only get 1 FAN however which is a better option the case (added intake) or a push/pull setup?
m
l

Best solution

October 21, 2010 6:05:03 PM

Push/pull all the way. Then you are moving the air exactly where you need it.

Did you review the guide I linked like 10 posts ago? It shows how to remove and install a HSF and Mobo with pictures.
October 21, 2010 6:16:07 PM

yah i saw it...only concern i have is.....there is only 1 CPU/FAn slot on my mobo how would i setup push/pull? its a 4 pin cpu fan slot but i dont see another 4 pin except for the that is being taken up by the rear exhaust fan.....

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

this is my mobo
m
l
October 21, 2010 8:00:51 PM

so i went and nabbed the Hyper 212+ didnt install it yet as i gotta goto work ill do it tonite or tomorrow morning will post how things go

I didnt grab any extra fans because they didnt sell the fan it comes with stock...and the other good corsair fans they did sell were all LED and i dont want LED fans

+ i gotta solve my 3/4 pin issue if anyone can help.....

i checkced my mobo manual it has the CPU Fan 4 pin (right above cpu) 1 more 4pin FAN bridge near the rear side of my case (right now rear fan plugged into it...but its a 3 pin fan so i can i guess rout that to a diff one though i hate cables everywhere)

then there are 2x 3 pin fan connectors 1 on the top right corner and 1 on the bottom right side (well more to mid)

this is what i think comes on the yper 212+ which i wanted to get a 2nd of but they dont got it in store.
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item...

they only had these which they said i could use on the hyper 212 and they use the hyper 212 fan as my case fan....but i didnt buy any yet

m
l
October 21, 2010 8:05:09 PM

now not that im against LED fans i just heard somewhere they can cause problems? correct me if im wrong?
m
l
October 21, 2010 8:34:20 PM

also after getting the HSF installed (when i get around to it) and then OC a bit whats a good way to make sure the systems stable

should i run prime95 and furmark? while using like cpu-z or speedfan to monitor temps?
or should i run 3dmarkvantage?
m
l
October 21, 2010 8:46:00 PM

I run Prime95 for about 2-3 hours but do that like 2-4 days after you install the HSF to allow the TIM to set.

As for the fan issue, I think you can use a splitter(Y) to hook it up to the single CPU fan header

LED fans are meh, more importantly you want your fans to match. So they provide steady even flow. If one is faster than the other it can make a positive or negative pressure in the fins, that is less than ideal.
m
l
October 21, 2010 10:43:01 PM

Read a guide on OCing it will tel you all you need to know. Including appropriate stress testing methods.
m
l
October 22, 2010 2:31:02 AM

are there any issues with LED?

my idea cuz of availability is to put in 2x of these on the HSF in a push/pull setup

then taking the fan that comes with the Hyper 212+ and using it as a intake case fan on my side panel?

thoughts for this?
m
l
October 22, 2010 2:43:33 AM

ohh yah @ cmcghee as for the splitter where can i find out more info if i can use one and how much are they? how do they work?
m
l
October 22, 2010 3:19:59 AM

There is no problem with LEDs, just for eye candy. Those fans will be good though maybe they are not required at this point in time. If you find that you don't have enough cooling then you could get them as they won't have a massive cooling improvement.

Those fans most likely run straight off molex power connectors though they may have a PWM convertor. You need to plug them into the motherboard if you want to control their speed but if you don't mind them full speed all the time you can just plug them in through molex.
m
l
October 22, 2010 3:22:26 AM

well if i want them in a push/pull on the HSF i wouldnt want them at 100% all the time lol.......
m
l
October 22, 2010 4:56:56 AM

ohh yah ima install this tommorrow just a question when i take out my MOBO what kinda surface should i work on? is a glass table ok? or my floor (just hardwood/parkay flooring) or is there something else i should work on instead?
m
l
October 22, 2010 5:56:18 AM

I work on my wooden kitchen table. Good lighting, lots of room for my scattered mess as I work
m
l
October 22, 2010 6:20:46 PM

ok got it installed seems to be running cool/fine

CPUs idling around 29C per core

gonna run prime 95 and furmark now for a bit to stress it
m
l
October 22, 2010 6:22:54 PM

err what setting on prime95 should i use?

i see a few options

small FFT
in-place large FFT
Blend
Custom

never used prime95 before so
m
l
October 23, 2010 4:00:00 AM

Good work with the install.Small FFT puts the most stress on the CPU so do that.
m
l
October 23, 2010 6:35:06 AM

jasonp12 said:
err what setting on prime95 should i use?

i see a few options

small FFT
in-place large FFT
Blend
Custom

never used prime95 before so

you could just run prime 95

run small ftt's hour or 2 keep an eye on temps if you overclocking run it longer like 6 hours or more

furmark is for maximum graphics card stressing
m
l
October 23, 2010 12:28:34 PM

ohh ok thanks!

btw what are average temps for an AMD 965 BE i couldnt find it anywhere

and what is usually an avg safe voltage range (havent ocd yet but i want to)
m
l
October 23, 2010 12:38:02 PM

As long as its kept below 62c its generally safe and max voltage that should be used is 1.55v but is not recommend for 24/7 usage so under 1.5v should be ideal
m
l
October 23, 2010 12:42:22 PM

thank you very much im new to use AMD Overdrive (always been an intel user but so far im loving AMD for the price/performance ratio) dont think intel/nvidia will ever get me back until they have some drastic changes!

m
l
October 23, 2010 12:43:59 PM

ohhh btw

when i order a 2nd fan for a push/pull i was also gonna get these

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

its the GELID Y Fan Splitter (just search Gelid on newegg.ca its 3.99)

so i can route both CPU fans to the CPU connector....is this a good idea? it wont overvolt the bridge port will it? i heard 2 is fine but going more then 2 on any given is a bit much....
m
l
October 23, 2010 12:57:07 PM

Hello, I don't think that the connector will put enough power out to burn itself out. Instead the fans will just be capped at a slower max speed.

You should check to see if the fans your getting have PWM connectors as if they don't you won't be able to connect them. Most fans have molex connectors which plug directly into the PSU. Maybe you can find an adapter that goes from two molex plugs to one PWM motherboard connector.

I would reccomend against software OCing. Using the BIOS allows much more control and is therefore much safer. You should read a guide and learn to use the BIOS, thats how real OCers roll.
m
l
October 31, 2010 12:07:56 AM

Best answer selected by jasonp12.
m
l
!