Raid array not displayed

j0ndafr3ak

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012
Hi all,

my configuration:
Asus Sabertooth 990FX (latest bios update)
Phenom II X4 965 BE
2x Samsung 840 120GB (the ones I used for the raid-0 array)

I've been searching the web for 2 days or so and have found nothing. I've had hard times to install Windows 7 on a SSD Raid-0 array. In a first moment, I was unable to even load the raid drivers because unsigned (according to Windows) I tried to install the drivers from the CD, from AMD website and from ASUS support website, with no success. By changing the copy of Windows 7, the problem's now gone.

It now loads the drivers, but when it's done loading, it still says, "No drives found..."

So, I tried to go back to the Install Now page, clicked on Repair and tried to load the drivers from there. Nothing happens. It loads them, then I go back to the point where it asks you to select the drives, but no luck. it says "No new devices could be found..."

I have Windows 7 Ultimate x64. it won't let me load the x86 drivers. The MB support DVD also lets you create a floppy disk with the AHCI/RAID drivers on it. I tried that, too but I don't have a floppy disk drive so... maybe it could work with a USB flash drive, but I wouldn't know how to do that.

Thank you guys, hope to find a solution, cause I've read so many thread onthe Internet with no luck... HELP!

j0ndafr3ak

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012
Managed to create USB driver disk. Inserted the support DVD into my laptop and used the Make Disk utility. No luck here, either.

Is it possible that drivers can't see my hardware, because they are the wrong ones? Not that I mistakenly downloaded the wrong drivers, but that AMD messed up? I mean, why wouldn't it see the Raid controller, though the drivers get loaded?

j0ndafr3ak

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012
Ok, here's something really weird. When I set AHCI back on there was no data loss. I noticed on Drive selection during installation that there's still data on the SSDs... how come?

Anyway, I created the array in the Raid utility by pressing CTRL+F when prompted.
Here are the settings I chose (googled them)
STRIP BLOCK 128KB
INITIALIZATION FAST
GIGABYTE BOUNDARY ON
SECTOR SIZE 512 BYTES
READ POLICY READ AHEAD
WRITE POLICY WRITEBACK (can't change this parameter when read policy is set to either read ahead or read cache - when read policy is set to NA, then write policy only option is WriteThru)

_kaos_

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012
I have no idea why anyone would use Raid 0 with a SSD!
SSD's are already fast enough.
Also any additional speed you may get isn't worth considering that if even a single drive fails-you lose all data!!

EDIT: typo

j0ndafr3ak

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012

Well, let's say that I'm starting to regret my choice. I could have bought one 240GB SSD but yeah it's ok for now. They are lightening fast, at least 10 times as fast as my WD Scorpio black

Though, the problem is still there and I can't figure out why. I wanted to try Raid 0, but it seems I can't for now.