Update for my Radeon HD 4670

Status
Not open for further replies.

phobia42

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2010
Hello, I have currently got a Radeon HD 4670 1GB video card in my system. The fan has started to make noises, and since the card is getting a little dated, I figured I might as well replace it.

I am looking for recommendations for a card that would be noticeably better than what I have, but not break the bank. I'm not a serious gamer, and only occasionally play games that are usually 3-4 years old. I've been burned by NVidia in the past, so would probably prefer to stick with ATI.

I will probably be upgrading to the i7 within the next year or so (currently have Core 2 Duo machine) so a card that could easily survive the upgrade would be nice.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

As a reference, my current system is:

E8400 3Ghz
Abit IP35Pro
4 GB DDR2 memory (PC6400)
700 Watt PSU

Solution
I think you should get a 5770, It suits you perfectly. However if you wait until october the 13th you could get a 6770 for around the same price(assumed) or a cheaper 5770.

The 6770 is supposed to be on par with a current 5830 and will feature some slight tweaks such as eyefinity4 and UVD.

phobia42

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2010
Well, once I have a range of cards to consider, I'll look around for a good deal (probably on newegg and frys), but I'd like to avoid spending any more than $170. $130 would probably be preferable though.

phobia42

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2010
For the $20 more, the 5770 seems like the better choice over the 5750. Will either of those cards show a huge difference over my current 4670?

Any opinions on the most important factors to consider when buying a new card? I've been told the ram is really unimportant, but what about the core clock? shaders? Any links to a good tutorial on what each of those are and how they impact your card would be awesome.

Tamz_msc

Distinguished
A 5770 is overkill for the type of games you play, a 5750 should be enough.But if you do get a good deal on a 5770, then I think that you should get it.

Video memory IS going to affect gameplay at higher resolutions.Other factors depend on how they are used, there is no clear-cut rule.

Shader count and core clock is really only comparable in the same generation. More shaders/clock in the same gen, normally a faster card. Specs in a graphics card are all about balance; ram quantity is not unimportant, unless the GPU can't use it all - in general look for 1GB in a mid upper graphics card. Ram bandwidth is important (again if the limiting factor).

Obviously, it is quite complex so writing a guide would be hard. So the best option is to look at recent reviews/benchmarks to get an idea of the real world game performance. Take a look at the tom's hardware graphics charts for an easy comparison between cards.

punnar

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010

phobia42

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2010
I think I am just about ready to order the card, but I stopped by Frys today, and for the rest of the week, they have an HD 5830 for $190 ($60 off). It would run me about $60 more than the 5770, but it sounds like a monster card and I hate passing up a great deal. Considering I don't play a lot of games, is this better card worth the extra $60? Will I see a difference with things like movies, photoshop, general computer usage, etc.? Or will the only difference be with games? Thanks for all the info.

phobia42

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2010
Speaking of resolution, I never mentioned that I am using a 26" and 24" dual monitor setup. My main display (the 26") is using 1920 x 1200. I agree with you though, the 5830 is probably overkill for what I need. I doubt my avi files and photoshop are going to drastically improve with that card over a 5770.

Helltech

Distinguished

Oh yeah, my mistake, it was overkill for the games you play, not the resolution. Doh! At that resolution you would see benefit from a more high end card.

A 5830 wouldn't be a bad choice, but if you're paying that much I would just go with the GTX 460.

Since your not a "serious" gamer, the 5770 would still be a great card of choice and would save you quite a bit of money.

phobia42

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2010
I had 3 GeForces fail on me in a row, so I don't think I'll be using one of those again any time soon. Besides, the core speed on the 5830 seems higher (800mhz over 675-700mhz). With the higher resolution, will basic windows applications really show a difference with a 5830 over a 5770? For $60 difference, I don't want a card that I'll need to upgrade again in 6-12 months.

Helltech

Distinguished

You can't just compre the core clock on an ATI vs a Nvida card and expect that to be the performance difference.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3810/nvidias-geforce-gtx-460-part-2-the-vendor-cards/7
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GeForce_GTX_460_Cyclone_OC_768_MB/14.html
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/156?vs=171

Regardless, basic window applications will not show a big difference, that difference will only be in games.

decode

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
I think you should get a 5770, It suits you perfectly. However if you wait until october the 13th you could get a 6770 for around the same price(assumed) or a cheaper 5770.

The 6770 is supposed to be on par with a current 5830 and will feature some slight tweaks such as eyefinity4 and UVD.

Solution

phobia42

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2010
It sounds like decode has a point, I will be mostly out of town for the next 8 weeks or so, and will be on a 4 month vacation starting in December. If a new generation of card is coming out that will drive down the price of the 5770, it sounds like I should just wait until November to try to get it at a lower price. But it does sound like the 5770 will suit my needs the best right now. By then I'll probably be ready to upgrade my whole rig with an i7 (from my E8400). Thanks for all the advice guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.