How Long Shall I Wait?

binoyski

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
When will the nexgen Intel CPUs come out? LGA 2011?
I'm saving my money. Not gonna build a 1155 setup.
Skipping this generation.I'm willing to wait.
I can only imagine my build of LGA 2011

CPU= LGA 2011
MB= LGA 2011 compatible(ASUS SABERTOOTH LGA 2011 w/ THERMAL VEST)
HSF= Corsair H70
MEM= dual/triple/quad(whatever is needed) 16gigs
VC= 2x580/590? -> 2x6990
HDD= 2xSSD(if the price/capacity is almost equal to 2XWD Velociraptor 600) RAID 0
OD= BLU RAY COMBO DRIVE
DISPLAY= 3x 24" or 30" DELL ULTRASHARP
CASE= CoolerMaster HAF X
PS= ANTEC 1200
Am I forgetting something?

OMG! Finally, I'm gonna game with three monitors!

jpmucha

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
With three 30" monitors on the build list, budget isn't much of a concern :) The whole build will probably be on the order of $6-7k with the 30" displays and tippy top CPU/mobo/etc.

Might want to add a 2TB drive for bulk storage... not sure the size of SSDs you're planning. If you're getting a copy of Win7 with that, you'd want to have it part of the build list. SD reader? By then, 8GB DDR3 modules may be less rare... so 32MB may be an option.

studioman22

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
Why bother with 3 monitors when you can get a 65" Mitsubishi DLP HDTV or better cheap used or even new?

Huge display, no seams, killer picture, and response times rated in microseconds, not milliseconds they are so fast. 1920 x 1080 p native resolutions and 3D ready as well. Newer models run at 120 Hz, but mine is 60Hz and does awesome. It just doesn't make sense, unless you just don't have the room. Make the room. You'll love it.

studioman22

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
Studio,

Whats the picture look like on a 65" DLP? I'd love to see what BC2 looks like on it.

Oh, call my shiny new CM SP Gold 1000W PSU garbage and now you want a glimpse into my world? :D

:non:

Take it back or I ain't telling you jack. If you do take it back, we can be friends again. :p

studioman22

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
:sarcastic:

Ok, you are back in my good graces. For now. And you know damn well that PSU is NOT garbage. :fou: Ok, got it out of my system. :p

Yes I play all those games, and so far the best I've seen on it was not from my OLD system, but from a client build I just updated with a GTX 570 on an E8400 system. But even then it could not handle that game or any others with everything set to max @ 1920 x 1080. Which is why I went with a GTX 580 SC for my new build in sig.

But what I did see looks killer. And that is coming from a former A/V pro (was in the business over 12 years).

I did see Black Ops with everything maxed on it, but in certain parts FPS dropped- might have been a cpu bottleneck. So had to tone it down a bit.

I keep screaming around here for people to listen and check out these Mitsubishi DLPs, cause they redefine entirely large screen projection TV's. And this totally blows away tiny 3 screen setups. Even 32" to me is tiny anymore after you've been on a 65". The trick is you have to watch the model carefully if you are buying used. You want latest generation DLP. Anyone looking to do this PM me and I'll give you more info.

binoyski

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
I'm banking on the LGA 2011 chipset supporting triple channel memory rather than the quad one. That's just my take on it. Seeing how the "NEW" P67 supports ddr3 dual channel.
So, unless they don't want to really sell LGA 2011 in huge numbers they gonna go with quad channel, which I'm pretty sure will gonna cost big, and that will suck. For them and for us.
And then there's the very possible delayed launch of LGA 2011, with Intel worried about ARM, so I'm "SCREWED" either way by not doing a 1155 build. If TH have a bit of an information on what to possibly expect on LGA 2011, "PLEASE" give a nugget of "INFO" on LGA 2011 even with an alleged NDA.

Because 3 30 inch monitors gives a resolution of 7680x1600 or 4800x2560 (depending on how the screens are oriented), which is six times higher than 1080p? Hell, one 30 inch monitor has twice the resolution of a 1080p tv.

A 65 inch 1080p would look like garbage from anywhere remotely close, since the pixel density is terrible.

studioman22

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009

Twice the resolution of native 1080p is 3840 x 2160. There is currently no native single display that runs that high I've heard of being mass produced- there might be in some industrial sectors. So no, a 30" monitor is not twice the resolution of 1920 x 1080.

1080p looks killer on this thing. KILLER. :pfff:

If you keep waiting for the latest and greatest, you'll never buy anything :)

LGA 2011 is targeted for late 2nd quarter/ early 3rd quarter.

Sandforce 3 controllers due in 2-3 months.

The faux water coolers like the H series really don't stack up to the better air coolers.
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=371&Itemid=62&limit=1&limitstart=11

Match the HAF-X with the Corsair HX or XFX Black Edition lines. The new lines from Corsair, Antec though of greater efficiency, aren't getting the electrical performance ratings of the Antec SG and CP l/ Corsair HX and XFX Black ines.

An alternative would be the DF-85 w/ CP-1000 ..... better case and better PSU

The Dell IPS screens are phenomenal though many gamers will find them disappointing at first. Designed for accurate color, they tend to "pale" against the over saturated models we see on store shelves.

Nope. 3840x2160 is four times the resolution of 1080p (hint: how many 1080p screens would you need to make a 3840x2160 array?). 1080p has a resolution of 2.07 megapixels. 3840x2160 has 8.29 megapixels. 2560x1600 has 4.10 megapixels.

In other words, a 30 inch monitor does indeed have twice the resolution of 1080p.

(Oh, and if you think 1080p looks killer on a 65 inch display, then you clearly need to see a truly clear and sharp display. I've seen 1080p TVs of all types, and none of them hold a candle to a good 30 inch)

This isn't really true of the very high end screens. They use an extended color gamut (117% CIE for the Dell 30"), which actually tends to make them look oversaturated in a non-color managed application (such as games). They might look a bit undersaturated in a properly color-managed application, such as Photoshop, but that's because they are displaying accurate color in that case. Games however are not color-managed, so on a high gamut monitor (such as the U2410, U2711, or U3011), they will tend to have extremely saturated and vibrant colors (unless you set the monitor otherwise).

Actually 3840 x 2160 is 4 times the resolution of 1920 x 1080....twice the height and twice the width = 4 x the resolution. Think of it this way. If you own a piece of property 156 feet x 280 feet, you have a bit over an acre .... make it 312 x 560 and you have got a bit over 4 acres or 4 lots of 156 x 280.

7680 x 1600 = 12,288,000 pixels
1920 x 1080 = 2,073,600

A ratio of 5.93 to 1.00 or almost 6 to 1

A 65" TV will be great at distance of 16.5 feet
http://www.dtvcity.com/lcdtv/lcdscreensize.html

If your playing at that distance you will have great picture for a cost of about $1200. But many peeps enjoy gaming a a bit closer for the sense of immersion. The IPS screen technology is in a class by itself and all those extra pixels comes at a price premium....those 3 screens will cost $1,500 each

As an owner of multiple Dell IPS screens (my son is a photography student and avid gamer, I'm an AutoCAD user and occasional gamer) in multi-monitor setups (one IPS / one TN panel side by side) I have yet to see any over saturation in games on the IPS screens. My son plays WoW and it looks downright washed out on the U2410 compared to the TN. In games with more "cinematic quality" the TN panels will grab the eye at first but after a while, the IPS panels looks much more realistic and are more comfortable sitting in front of for long hours.

When putting together builds for clients and my son's friends and making monitor recommendations, you'd be surprised at the looks on people's faces when ya say that the Dells are 3 times the price of the TN panels sitting next to them. Then ya put on movie or display some portrait photos and minds change quickly.

That's interesting - I haven't bought a new TN panel (aside from rather terrible laptop displays) in a couple of years, but I know my Dell IPS (U3011) and PVA (2408) displays both look more saturated on games than most TN panels that I've seen. Of course, they also have stunningly good detail, and they do look more realistic as well. A lot of the detail that gets kind of lost in the shadows or fine gradients on the TN is completely clear and well-presented on both the 3011 and the 2408. One way to put it would be to say that although colors are more saturated, they don't appear to be losing any details in the saturation, wheras some TN panels that I've seen do tend to lose details in the more saturated areas.

studioman22

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
Well great! You guys keep peering around those seams then! All the same to me. And yeah, if you want to put it in total megapixels, then you're right.

I don't watch the 65" from 16 feet away. Try more like 6 to 7 when gaming. I'm in it. Love it. When I am as close as that and don't see nearly any pixelation with a true 1920 x 1080 feed, that's why I say the display is good. It's better than good to me for the mere 400 bucks I paid for it used.