Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Motherboard Recommendations

Last response: in Motherboards
September 14, 2011 7:24:36 PM

I'm thinking of building a high-performance-good-value gaming computer that can support three monitors and (hopefully) have some future upgrade capacity, but I'm a bit ;)  lost on what motherboard to use.

This is the processor I would like to use:

• AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ965FBGMBOX

What motherboard do you recommend? If there's a different AMD processor you'd recommend, please speak up! :) 

EDIT

I'm leaning toward one of these:

• GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
  • ASUS M5A99X EVO AM3+ AMD 990X SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

Which do you think is better?

Best solution

a c 121 V Motherboard
    September 14, 2011 7:52:35 PM

Both board are pretty much the same except for the manafactuer.

I personally prefer (along with a lot of posters here) the Asus boards, but there are people who prefer the Gigabyte boards. honestly they have the same features, and are both great boards. I can't really say one is better, except for the preference of liking Asus better.

If you can't choose, which color scheme do you like better?
    a b V Motherboard
    September 14, 2011 9:06:53 PM

Indeed, the boards are very much equal.

So it will likely come down to which brand or color scheme you prefer.
    m
    l
    Related resources
    a b V Motherboard
    September 14, 2011 9:35:57 PM

For performance and quality I'd recommend the Gigabyte mobos over Asus. In 20 years of PC building, the only two mobos that failed were both Asus and they can be very sensitive to RAM.
    m
    l
    September 14, 2011 9:54:33 PM

Thanks for the feedback! I decided to go with the board from ASUS because I like ASUS, and I like the color scheme. :) 
    m
    l
    September 14, 2011 9:55:25 PM

beenthere said:
    For performance and quality I'd recommend the Gigabyte mobos over Asus. In 20 years of PC building, the only two mobos that failed were both Asus and they can be very sensitive to RAM.

What do you mean by "sensitive to RAM?"
    m
    l
    a b V Motherboard
    September 14, 2011 10:57:25 PM

A lot of the top brand RAM does not function without issues in Asus mobos because they push the design limits beyond industry standards and then hardware conflicts can result. The power supply circuits have also been shaky on some Asus mobo models.
    m
    l
    September 14, 2011 11:56:32 PM

beenthere said:
    A lot of the top brand RAM does not function without issues in Asus mobos because they push the design limits beyond industry standards and then hardware conflicts can result. The power supply circuits have also been shaky on some Asus mobo models.

That's good to know. Thanks.
    m
    l
    a c 121 V Motherboard
    September 15, 2011 3:00:24 PM

I have never had that problem at all, I have used Corsair, Kingston, Patriot, and G-Skill all in ASUS's and have never had a problem. As I mentioned earlier it is only personal preference as both boards are well made.
    m
    l
    a b V Motherboard
    September 16, 2011 10:52:12 PM

Indeed, I have been running ASUS boards since I began building and have yet to encounter the before mentioned issue.
    m
    l
    September 23, 2011 5:16:44 PM

Best answer selected by pcpro178.
    m
    l
    !