• Graphics Cards
  • Memory
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b } Memory
September 2, 2010 5:02:12 PM

Hello. Im currently choosing parts for a new computer (most likely ordering all/most this week), and not being too experienced in all this, I went wondering about what should I really get.

Im mostly a gamer, so thats definately the purpose this graphics card is wanted to be built around.
Specific games im really wanting to run are WoW (Cataclysm, on a break currently), and some FPS game such as Call of Duty (Mw2 currently -> Black Ops when it comes out, not much info about that so far though).

Other specs:
Intel i7 (950, 3,06GHZ)
4Gb ram
Windows Vista (PFFt, stop eating my RAM)
WD Hard Drive ,7200 RPM
Will fit in a motherboard+power supply that will let the com

The problem I came around to was mainly the lack of knowledge of mine, meaning what should I want: More Frequency, memory, or whatnot?

Tech infos (All Geforce 460s, overclocked, 256mbit memory?passage?, PCI-Es):

Producer: Palit
GeForce GTX 460 Sonic OC
GPU Frequency: 700MHZ
Memory: 2GB GDDR5
Memory Frequency: 3600 MHz
Price: 260€

#2:
Producer: Gainward
GPU Frequency: 700MHz
Memory: 2GB GDDR5
Memory Frequency: 3600MHz
Price: 283€

#3:
Producer: Gainward
GeForce GTX 460 Goes Like Hell, 1 GB GDDR5, 2xDVI/HDMI/VGA
GPU Frequency: 800 MHz
Memory: 1024 MB GDDR5
Memory Frequency:: 4000 MHz
Price: 249€

#4:
Now this one I just took in to see what people think about it, and to hear your opinions on it. To me it seems great as far as cooling goes, but falls behind a bit as far as raw power goes comparing to the one above.
Producer: Evga
Gpu Frequency: 763 MHz
Memory: 1GB
Memory Frequency: 3800MHz
Price: 269€

More about : geforce 460 questions

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b } Memory
September 2, 2010 5:06:07 PM

(Sorry for the doublepost, edit button is not functioning well).
I suppose you could sum the post to one question; Which ones better for gaming, Memory or Memory Frequency, and ofcourse, what are your personal opinions on the graphics cards?
a b U Graphics card
September 2, 2010 5:11:37 PM

It is not wise to get a factory OCed card when you can OC yourself.EVGA GTX 460 EE(not superclocked version) would be a good choice.Another one you can consider is the MSI GTX 460 Cyclone.It is factory overclocked, but is the coolest.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b } Memory
September 2, 2010 5:32:23 PM

Heh, the problem is, as said above, im not too experienced as far as computers themselves go, and therefore am not too confident about overclocking myself.

And the heat hasnt become a problem so far with my old computer even with overclocking (Got someone to do it for me :p ), its just a factor im afraid might pop up after the new computer (Mm, maybe a new fan would help)

Thanks for the answers though, will look into both of your options.
a c 678 U Graphics card
a b } Memory
September 2, 2010 8:15:20 PM

The funny thing is, Palit now owns Gainward, so those cards are basically the same. I have seen several reviews where the Palit Sonic Platinum took top honors in a roundup of GTX460 cards.

If it were me, I would go for the Gainward GLH, with the sweet custom cooling. Even though you can OC yourself, the Gainward cards with the factory OC usually have higher quality components (under the name "Golden Sample") to make sure that they can withstand the extra stress. 2GB of memory would be better if you can get the GLH version.
a b U Graphics card
a b } Memory
September 2, 2010 8:20:21 PM

17seconds said:
The funny thing is, Palit now owns Gainward, so those cards are basically the same. I have seen several reviews where the Palit Sonic Platinum took top honors in a roundup of GTX460 cards.

If it were me, I would go for the Gainward GLH, with the sweet custom cooling. Even though you can OC yourself, the Gainward cards with the factory OC usually have higher quality components (under the name "Golden Sample") to make sure that they can withstand the extra stress. 2GB of memory would be better if you can get the GLH version.

+1
September 2, 2010 8:38:15 PM

If you're gonna get a 460 get a MSI HAWK. will OC to 1ghz!
!