Hard drive failing...

hanxa

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013
Windows has been warning me that my hard drive is failing, so I backed everything up successfully and created a system image etc.

I downloaded the HD Sentinel trial and got this:

Failure Predicted - Attribute: 5 Reallocated Sectors Count, Count of sectors moved to the spare area. Indicate problem with the disk surface or the read/write heads.
There are 1774 bad sectors on the disk surface. The contents of these sectors were moved to the spare area.
The drive found 1 bad sectors during its self test.
There are 1 weak sectors found on the disk surface. They may be remapped any time in the later use of the disk.
6241 errors occured during data transfer. This may indicate problem of the device or with data/power cables. It is recommended to examine and replace the cables if possible.
Replace hard disk immediately.

The short self-test failed by unknown element.

I then ran chkdsk /r from the boot menu and got this:

X:\windows\system32>chkdsk c:/r
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Volume label is SYSTEM RESERVED.

CHKDSK is verifying files <stage 1 of 5>...
0 large file records processed.
0 bad file records processed.
0 EA records processed.
0 reparse records processed.
CHKDSK is verifying indexes <stage 2 of 5>...
334 index entries processed.
Index verification completed.
0 unindexed files scanned.
0 unindexed files recovered.
CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors <stage 3 of 5>...
256 file SDs/SIDs processed.
Security descriptor verification completed.
40 data files processed.
CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
519952 USN bytes processed.
Usn Journal verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying file data <stage 4 of 5>...
240 files processed.
File data verification completed.
CHKDSK is verfying free space <stage 5 of 5>...
17177 free clusters processed.
Free space verification is complete.
Windows has checked the file system and found no problems.

102399 KB total disk space.
30424 KB in 50 files.
32 KB in 41 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
3235 KB in use by the system.
2048 KB occupied by the log file.
68708 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
25599 total allocation units on disk.
17177 allocation units available on disk.
Failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with status 50.

Does this mean the bad sectors are physical issues and as the data isn't in them, it won't affect the system image? (i.e. when I load the image to a new drive, will it work?)

I have a new hard drive arriving soon, and I know the system image restores ok (tested on failing drive >.>) and all programs work... But will the bad sectors cause an issue on the new hard drive? Will I be causing more problems?

Also, my new drive is a 750GB with 7200rpm. The failing drive is 320GB 5400rpm. Will the image cause partitioning problems??? Or am I ok to upgrade at the same time (I was planning to in the near future anyway)

Good thing you did back up. You should have a good copy of your drive. Things get ugly when the drive runs out of spare sectors to move data to. At that point, you will start seeing SMART errors under the category of "Current Pending Sector Count".

hanxa

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013
It doesn't like to boot at all unless I perform a restore or a recovery or wipe and reload the image... (the way I checked the image). After running those checks, I got about 10 minutes before everything froze and now it won't start at all >.>

Was all fine beforehand... It froze, I forced it off after waiting 3 hours, and when I rebooted the warning appeared. That's when I backed up, and then it got really slow >.>

I think I had a lucky escape, but will know when I get the new drive. Will definitely be backing up more regularly in future.

In the event that the image fails, I do have another backup of all my files..... made at the same time through windows backup... Just don't wanna lose programs - can't get a lot of them back

G

Bad sector issues are very difficult to solve. I hope everything will be OK for you.

hanxa

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013
I have received and connected my new drive. I reloaded the system image (fast-forward 5 hours) and here I am, with a perfectly functioning drive!!!

I had to repartition, which is easy in Windows 7, but I have my computer back :D