Need help choosing the right components

User_names

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2010
Havent built a computer for 7 years so i am a little lost on a few pionts, hoping you experts can sort it out.
I live in a trailer in the desert so in the summer the inside of the trailer can reach 100 degree f easy not to mention iit is very dusty, why i thought the antec p183 case would be best

1. Not sure what CPU cooler to use with this setup
2. I dont know PSU will fit properly in the case i choose.
3. Not sure i have right case for the setup

Case: Antec P183 Black Aluminum / Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

PSU: CORSAIR TX Series CMPSU-950TX 950W ATX12V v2.3/EPS12V v2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor BX80601950

CPU Cooler: ?

Memory: CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model TR3X6G1600C8 G

Videocard: PowerColor PCS+ AX5870 1GBD5-PPDHG2 Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX ...

Harddrive: Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Optical Drive: Sony Optiarc CD/DVD Burner Black SATA Model AD-7260S-0B - OEM

CPU Cooler Options?

CORSAIR Hydro H70
COOLER MASTER Hyper N 520
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212
Prolimatech Megahalems Rev.B CPU Cooler

All suggestions welcome

calguyhunk

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
I'm loving your build. Just 3 things though.

Firstly, You won't be needing an aftermarket cooler (even in the desert heat) if you're not looking to overclock.

Secondly, your build looks almost too perfect. You've either been researching very well or did you just copy paste this from some system builder thread? :p

& Lastly, a $1500 comp in a trailer? Just curious!

User_names

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2010
My concern about the desert heat is the computer will be at 100 degrees becuase I dont run the airconditioning in the trailer, so the processor will start out at 100f. As i understand it any cooler including stock coolers can only cool down to ambient temperature which in my case will be 100f in the summer.

And yes i did a bit of research, most my choices were based on price and building a computer that will hold up for the next 7 years, i hope.

I would be a $6000 comp in a trailer if i wanst so cheap, but i do love my games.

I have deciced that the PSU will fit the case but since i am leaning towards the CORSAIR Hydro H70 for cooling and the P 183 case only has 2 exaust fans i was thinking of using COOLER MASTER HAF 912 Case and mounting it out side the case on top, but i am still concernd about excess dust build up in the computer.

Anyone?

For purely gaming rig two important articles to read if $$ is an issue

Best Gaming CPUs For The Money
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gaming-cpu-upgradable-processor-phenom-ii-x6,2731-5.html
Past the Point of Reason:

With rapidly-increasing prices over $200 offering smaller and smaller performance boosts in games, we have a hard time recommending anything more expensive than the Core i5-760.

and

The Game Rundown: Finding CPU/GPU Bottlenecks, Part 2
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/game-performance-bottleneck,2738-16.html
Conclusion: A Trend Toward 3+ Cores

The average optimal number of CPU cores suggested by the test results is 2.75, showing a clear trend towards at least three CPU cores.The question of whether the CPU or GPU is most important is easily answered. If you don't have a multi-core CPU, then upgrade it. If you have a dual-core CPU at around 3 GHz, then invest your money into a graphics card, as most games are GPU-limited. This is not something that will change with new DirectX 11 games.