Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo
Intel Core I7 CPU 2.66Ghz OC'ed to 3.6Ghz
6GB Corsair Dominator Ram
Noctua NH-U12P Heatsinc (2 Fans)
Western Digital 7200 1TB HD
EVGA GeForce GTX 280 Vid Card
Corsair TX750W Power Supply
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

The system has been running stable for about a year and a half now. Starting about 3 weeks ago, I can't get it to run a game. Mafia II, Roller Coaster Tycoon 3, Godfather 2, it doesn't matter, same result.

I can boot to the desktop, navigate through windows, run word, use the internet, download files, use my e-mail, ect. But as soon as I try to run a game, the game will crash and I get a full screen of random colors.

Sometimes I get 5 min of playtime. Sometimes I get a half an hour, sometimes an hour, sometimes it's instant. When this happens I have to reset the system and reboot (although once I clicked the left mouse button and the system rebooted by itself).

The first thing that I thought of was the video card. I got in contact with EVGA and they said the card was artifacting and thought maybe that the ram on the card had gone bad. They RMAed the card and sent me another one. I put the new card in and the same thing happened.

I called EVGA back and they said that they could not reproduce the problem I was having when they tested my card. So, if it's not the video card, then I am stumped.

My voltages and temps at idle are Vcore:1.34 volts +3.3V:3.28 volts +5V: 5.12 volts +12V:12.08 volts CPU:47c Mobo:48c GPU:51c
I just got about 45 good min playing Divinity II before it crashed. Temps around the time of the crash were CPU:60c Mobo:57c and GPU:83c.

This is starting to drive me crazy!! Help Please if you have the slightest idea of what might be causing this. Thank you.

Oh, almost forgot. All of this started happening after a power outage (that's the day I found out that my battery backup wasn't working) and that all of my overclocking settings in the BIOS had reset themselves back to their defaults (they all said auto again). I reset all of the settings and no luck, system still crashes at game time.

More about : system crashing

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
October 21, 2010 6:47:00 AM

Run memtest. Always check the RAM when there's random freezing and crashing. Since it sounds like you probably already did set the voltages in the process of overclocking, next thing to check for would be a dead or dying stick.
October 21, 2010 5:48:54 PM

I let memtest run for over an hour - no errors.
Going to let it run over night just to make sure. Thx
Score
Related resources
October 25, 2010 6:13:49 AM

Yep, that was it taco, I have a bad stick of RAM. Funny thing though. I ran MemTest86+ over night with all 3 sticks and had no errors.

I then pulled them all and ran the system with 1 stick at a time till I found the bad one.

Thank you for your help!!
Score
February 23, 2012 1:21:49 AM

Best answer selected by mousemonkey.
Score
February 23, 2012 1:21:51 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!